Moparts

torsion bar question

Posted By: GOLDMYN

torsion bar question - 05/10/09 07:29 PM

Hi, can torsion bars fatique?, I know they break, but can they lose thier strength, when I adjust the front end, the adjustment screw on the lower bar goes in further than the passenger-side in order to make the front end even. I appreciate your opinions...thanks
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: torsion bar question - 05/10/09 07:33 PM

Uneven positioning of the adjuster bolt (in order to reach an even ride height) is more common than not. If you think about all the variables affecting one side vs the other (not just the bars)it makes sense. Unless one bolt is all the way in and the other all the way out (which might indicate a bar that is miss-clocked) I would not worry about it.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: torsion bar question - 05/10/09 07:53 PM

Also, if the lower bushings are worn different, the bars get loaded a hair different to get the car level. But a bushing would usually need to be worn almost through the rubber. (Not good) I saw a couple like that where the inner and outer lower bushing shells were already wearing through each other.

Re: torsion bar question - 05/10/09 08:28 PM

I just had the complete front-end rebuilt, will the bar fatique?
Posted By: earlybee

Re: torsion bar question - 05/11/09 12:30 AM

Yes. Just like coil and leaf springs fatigue.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: torsion bar question - 05/11/09 02:35 AM

Quote:

I just had the complete front-end rebuilt, will the bar fatique?

sounds like the complete front end was not rebuilt of they are old bars
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: torsion bar question - 05/11/09 02:42 AM

Quote:

the adjustment screw on the lower bar goes in further than the passenger-side in order to make the front end even.

How much further in

Re: torsion bar question - 05/11/09 03:02 AM

yes, rebuilt except the old bars and the screw goes in perhaps 3/8 further on the driver-side
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: torsion bar question - 05/11/09 03:17 AM

Your in good shape
Posted By: Lefty

Re: torsion bar question - 05/12/09 06:15 PM

I've never see any Mopar with same thread count showing on the adjusters, new or old suspension.
© 2024 Moparts Forums