Moparts

Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy?

Posted By: V194

Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy? - 06/16/08 09:26 PM

Looking for a new fan clutch on my 70 Cuda 340 with AC. The old unit may be failing so rather than risking it I decided to replace it.
I don't have an over-heating problem so I don't know what to go with. The parts counter guy is as usual no help.
So Should I seek a HD unit? Should I get a thermal or not thermal unit?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy? - 06/16/08 09:39 PM

IMO a thermo would be best for street

when mine is idleing for a while you can hear the fan clutch go in and out with the t stat cycling

for cooling I uped to a 7 blade fan off a amc hornet and put it on a stock thermo fan clutch

I did not have a cooling prob and the temp went down 10*,so I bumped the t stat back up from 160* to a 180*

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy? - 06/17/08 12:16 AM

Quote:

for cooling I uped to a 7 blade fan and put it on a stock thermo fan clutch

Posted By: rm23j8g

Re: Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy? - 06/17/08 12:40 PM

The current fan clutch available from Chrysler is a thermal unit, and, when installed, looks almost exactly like an original non-thermal unit from the back. In the case of your car, which probably had a thermal unit originally, this should be perfect.
Not a cheap as one you can get from Autozone and the like, but they really look great.
I recently bought one for my AAR, to use until I eventually get the original one rebuilt. It looks so good, I may just leave it.
Posted By: dmerc

Re: Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy? - 06/17/08 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

for cooling I uped to a 7 blade fan and put it on a stock thermo fan clutch

Yup, works really well and looks factory
Posted By: Black_Sheep

Re: Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy? - 06/17/08 02:56 PM

Quote:

The current fan clutch available from Chrysler is a thermal unit

IIRC the MP fan package uses a viscous clutch. Either type will work but I figured having the fan clutch slip during hard acceleration would be easier on the belt and probably free up a little power. There's been an aftermarket viscous fan clutch on the GTX for 6 years without any cooling issues...
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Fan Clutch, Thermal or not, HD or what to buy? - 06/17/08 08:40 PM

Which clutch are you running now, thermal or non thermal? If you like what it's doing now, I'd personally just get a direct replacement.
© 2024 Moparts Forums