Moparts

vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell diff?

Posted By: Anonymous

vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell diff? - 06/16/08 07:36 PM

My 65 dart /6 with a 1 barrel Holley has had what appear to be vapor lock problems. I've recently learned that boiling in the bowl in the carb is similar.

How do I tell the difference when it is happening?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell diff? - 06/16/08 07:42 PM

not sure but the /6 heat risers divert WAY too much heat.I would turn the counterweight "off"(I forget which way that is) & lock it there.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell diff? - 06/16/08 08:09 PM

Quote:

My 65 dart /6 with a 1 barrel Holley has had what appear to be vapor lock problems. I've recently learned that boiling in the bowl in the carb is similar.

How do I tell the difference when it is happening?

They are essentially the same thing. The fuel pump cannot pump vapor, only liquid. So whether the vapor occurs somewhere along the fuel line, or inside the carb, the pump cannot pump vapor.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell d - 06/16/08 08:59 PM

I knew they were the same thing but different locations. I want to know how to tell the difference since they would require different fixes.

Re: vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell d - 06/16/08 10:27 PM

My experience with boiling in the carb is that you can hear it boiling a minute or two after engine shut down (at least on a small block).
Posted By: DartGTDan

Re: vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell d - 06/16/08 11:56 PM

Not to hijack, but my buddy has a '65 A100 Pick-Up with a 360/727 and a Holley 4bbl.

When driving all is good. Sitting in traffic (Woodward DreamCruise) the engine starts to bog and will stall, but will immediately re-start. As long as the rpms are higher it's OK. Put it in gear (auto) and it bogs and stalls again, and the process repeats.

He has shielded the fuel line from the pump to the carb, added header wrap, and created a fan shroud to no avail. Don't know if he has the intake crossover blocked or not (he purchased the truck as a turn-key). Does this sound like vapor-lock? If not what might it be?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell d - 06/17/08 12:02 AM

are you running "gasahol"(10% ethanol,90% gasoline).

Re: vapor lock / carb boiling in the bowl how to tell d - 06/17/08 12:19 AM

Quote:

When driving all is good. Sitting in traffic (Woodward DreamCruise) the engine starts to bog and will stall, but will immediately re-start. As long as the rpms are higher it's OK. Put it in gear (auto) and it bogs and stalls again, and the process repeats.

Have him install a clear plastic or glass fuel filter. Could be a weak fuel pump. Better yet have him install a fuel pressure guage.

I'm in the process of installing a Carter mechanical "street" pump as the stock LA pump is not keeping up at high rpm's. When my 360 is hot, it also sputters and tries to quit at or near idle. A quick look at my clear gas filter shows the filter is empty with only irregular spurts of gas entering the filter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums