Moparts

Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans

Posted By: stinger

Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/07/09 04:51 PM

but I've never done that before.I've watched a few times as someone else did the rebuild and redone a few engines in my time.is this a difficult task for a novice?bad idea? I have a few good articles on all the tweaks but if anyone has a link to a good article on rebuilding a 727 could you help a guy out and post a link?
the trans in question is a 73 big block trans and I also have a 68/69 smallblock trans I could use for parts if need be,Thanks!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/07/09 06:15 PM

Some of the internal parts are going to be different between the 2 trans you have. Start by getting the 727 hand book by Carl Monroe.

They are not hard to do.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/07/09 06:17 PM

The Munroe book is gold. 10-15 bucks on ebay.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/07/09 08:47 PM

ATSG video..........
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/08/09 02:01 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Torqueflite-Transm...8212&sr=1-1

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/08/09 03:33 AM

Thanks guys,going to order a copy and give it a go!
Posted By: DartGTS

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/08/09 12:17 PM

Hello:
You may want to check out this item on the E Bay.
Item number: 350198259349 DVD on 727 rebuild.
I don't know what its like maybe good maybe not just letting you know it's out there.
Maynard
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/08/09 02:28 PM

Quote:

Some of the internal parts are going to be different between the 2 trans you have. Start by getting the 727 hand book by Carl Monroe.

They are not hard to do.

- if you are doing a stock or minor improvements ( valve body mods / additional clutch discs )rebuild. If you are putting it behind 700 + HP or so, I would suggest someone like CRT build it for you.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/08/09 04:18 PM

Quote:

Hello:
You may want to check out this item on the E Bay.
Item number: 350198259349 DVD on 727 rebuild.
I don't know what its like maybe good maybe not just letting you know it's out there.
Maynard

I have the VHS version of that...excellent...it will walk you thru the rebuilding of a 727...you can stop it and rewind it ...the book is a great information source...but watching someone rebuild the trans is priceless.

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/08/09 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They are not hard to do.

- if you are doing a stock or minor improvements ( valve body mods / additional clutch discs )rebuild. If you are putting it behind 700 + HP or so, I would suggest someone like CRT build it for you.

just for my ice cream getter,not a race car.I do want it beefed up a little to stand up to a warmed up 440.

thanks for the heads up on the e bay item,I'll check into that.I just think it would be fun to build a trans as long as it works when I'm done and save a little coin to use on other parts I need.
Posted By: G_T

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/09/09 01:13 AM

Couple of pieces of advise when I built my first 727:

1) Cleaniness can not be over emphasized!

2) Have a FSM handy - good info for troubleshooting/etc. and additional pictures and how to make some needed tools that the Monroe book doesn't cover (but the Monroe book is mandatory IMHO).

3) Tranny Hydralic Pressure gauges - purchase or rent. If you have any shifting/etc. issues after the build, this tool and the FSM will point you to exactly where the problem was.

In my first build, it all went smooth. Car didn't want to shift out of first... put on the gauges, consulted the FSM, and it pointed to the govenor... I pulled it, and found a hair that was hanging up the little internal piston. Cleaned it, and viola!

IMHO, the biggest PITA is removing/installing the tail shaft snap ring.

It's installed in my son's 77 Fury - a heavy car with a warmed up 400. By son has bit the crap out of that car, and the tranny has functioned flawlessly for about 30,000 miles now. I am impressed.

Mods I made, according to advise from this forum:

1)Bolt in Sprang (probably not necessary for street car)
2)High Perf Master rebuild kit (new gaskets, seals, sealing rings, Red Eagle friction clutch kit, Kolene Steels).
3)Dacron filter
4) 4.2 Lever & Heavy Duty Band Strut
5) TransGo TF-2 Kit setup on Hot Rod Setting.

I spent about $350 on everything.

Sources for parts:
Transmission Center
BulkPart
CRT

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/09/09 03:15 PM

great info GT! thanks,it helps alot.
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/09/09 03:47 PM

I found this link an interesting read, he did it on a 64 trans but it still applies to rebuilding a 727. Ron...

click on the highlighted areas for pictures...
http://www.yetanotherdomain.org/64dodge/transmission/rebuildsteps.html

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/10/09 12:41 AM

Thanks Ron,great article to read.it looks like something I can do with the help of the Monroe book and a little time.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Thinking about rebuildind a 727 Trans - 05/10/09 02:22 PM

I live in Waterford and have the book if you would like to borrow it. I've beeen doing 727s for 30 years if you have any questions. I've taught many to do them. Basic rebuilds and hop ups are pretty easy. Any questions shoot me a PM
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums