Moparts

How does timing affect ease of starting???

Posted By: rss

How does timing affect ease of starting??? - 05/06/09 04:32 AM

If you attempt to dial in the ideal initial timing that your engine likes to idle at would that necessarily also be the same initial timing that it would start easiest at, or would the ideal initial timing be more of a compromise between smooth idle quality and starting ease?
Posted By: greenfire

Re: How does timing affect ease of starting??? - 05/06/09 04:48 AM

under most conditions if your initial timing is set correctly your motor should start normally. but if the timing is either advanced or retarded excessively, or if your running very high compression you will have hard starting issues.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: How does timing affect ease of starting??? - 05/06/09 04:18 PM

Give us some details. If it is a near stock motor, if the chain is tight and the timing set right it will hit almost as soon as the key is turned.

Re: How does timing affect ease of starting??? - 05/06/09 06:01 PM

Engine is a stock 70 383 HP. Still running original points distributor.

Had recently bumped the timing up a few degrees (around 15 initial now) based on some threads that read here. Car seems real happy at idle now, vacuum is around 15 inches and more stable than in the past but the car seems to be a bit more hesitant to start than before. I was wondering whether there was a starting "sweet-spot" for the timing that might be a few more degrees retarded.

I probably just need to tinker with it a bit more.

Thanks for the replies
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How does timing affect ease of starting??? - 05/06/09 07:07 PM

I'd kick it back to 12 & see how that works for you. (idle quality/off idle response/vacuum level
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: How does timing affect ease of starting??? - 05/06/09 07:25 PM

I've got a 70 383 HP in my car also. Right now I'm running 10 but will likely bump to 12. 12 is the most I can run w/o going inside the dizzy and making changes. It runs great at 10/34 now and starts instantly.

I do run electronic. THe is an old MP setup but I have used Petronix kits in several cars before that worked great. Only thing that gave it away was one extra wire and had to ream the wire hole a tad to get the new 2 wire deal to fit.

Re: How does timing affect ease of starting??? - 05/06/09 09:41 PM

Thanks guys. I'll tinker with it a bit more and see if I can get it dialed in better. Have been pondering the Pertronix upgrade. Will probably take that on in the coming weeks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums