Moparts

MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary?

Posted By: W5Duster436

MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 12:50 PM

Getting ready to order a new distributor and ignition box and want to know if they're really necessary. In the past I had a mallory unilite that did a pretty good job but just wanted to get feedback if it's really worth the extra 200 bucks or so for the CDI type ignition.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 01:02 PM

The Malory Unilite works good with CDI boxes. The advantage of multi spark ignitions is easier starting and how they run when the motor is cold. I have noticed improved part throttle response. As far as performance is concerned, my friend ran a Mopar ignition for years racing a 11:1 340 motor and it ran great.

On my street car, I only run CDI (Crane HI-6 or Mallory. Many prefer MSD, but I have not had great luck with the MSD 6. Just my preference.

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 01:05 PM

Quote:

The Malory Unilite works good with CDI boxes. The advantage of multi spark ignitions is easier starting and how they run when the motor is cold. I have noticed improved part throttle response. As far as performance is concerned, my friend ran a Mopar ignition for years racing a 11:1 340 motor and it ran great.

On my street car, I only run CDI (Crane HI-6 or Mallory. Many prefer MSD, but I have not had great luck with the MSD 6. Just my preference.

I was looking at the 32 series in hyfire 6-AL. Just want to be sure that it was something worth the extra $. I wasn't sure that the unilite worked with the hyfire box if I chose to buy it later. I think if you buy the 32 series distributor you MUST run the box.
Posted By: WayneM

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 01:44 PM

What's the application? I ran a mopar chrome box and mallory coil for many years without ever having one problem. I took my distributor to the mallory trailer at the NHRA race, had them curve it for me, and that was it! Keep your mopar all mopar!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 01:53 PM

No
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 03:18 PM

Necessary? No of course not. Do they help? Some swear by them, others say they do nothing. At the very least if you do install one, I think I would have to recommend having a backup system. I've heard enough stories over the years of these multi-spark boxes failing(especially the msd's) that I think I would rig up the stock ignition box/ballast to start working again with the flip of a couple hidden switches, just in case the multi-spark box craps out.
Posted By: BobR

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 03:22 PM

Depends on what you want out of life. Some guys still use points and drum brakes. Maybe they should also throw their alternator away for a generator. Like was said with a hotter/longer duration spark your car will idle better and run better cold. You may also find a small amount of horsepower. Besides this you get adjustability and features like RPM limiters, timing controllers, ect. I have never had an MSD box fail. I wouldn't even consider ANY of the factory boxes. -Bob
Posted By: 65cuda

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 03:26 PM

I like the chrome box and adj. dist. you can put in any curve you want. i have read many times in Mopar Muscle that the stock Mopar setups were all we needed.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 03:31 PM

Necesary ? no... depending what use you will have to the car. I'm very happy with Mopar Chromed box and stock dist, with MSD Blaster 2 coil ( same than MP coil )

I think MP stuff in this case works GREAT for the price
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 03:31 PM

The main advantage of the MSD is the multiple sparks at low RPM. When you start getting into big cams, big heads, carburated engines, the air/fuel mixture at idle and low rpms can vary alot and the multiple sparks reduces the chance of the cylinder not firing.
At higher RPM, the MSD boxes just provide a single spark (your limited by the cap and rotor design), but by then there is good intake velocity so the air/furl mixture will be more conistant.

The new OEM coil-on-plug design allows much longer spark duration with out the possability of flash over that you could get from the cap and rotor design, which brings up the issue of rotor phasing.... anyhow, thats another post.

Anyhow if you have a near stock engine or fuel injected engine there probbably won't be a big improvement with the MSD. If you have a modified carburated engine you could see some improvements, usually easier starting, more even idle, and better low rpm response.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 06:30 PM

I run one. Noticed a bit better idle quality and throttle response. Really, they allow a greater margin of error for those of us who can't tune very well, like myself. From what I gather, a properly setup stock ignition on a mild motor will perform just as well.

Where they really start to shine is with all the add-ons and goodies that was stated before, timing controllers, rev limiters, etc... The rev limiter in my 6AL saved butt once already...
Posted By: Neil

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/16/08 06:53 PM

I run an msd box box on my daily driver. The multi-spark at low rpms is a real bonus for passing an emissions test if you have a bigger than stock camshaft.

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/17/08 12:11 AM

thanks for all the input. I went ahead and bought the mallory and Hyfire 6AL since it has a bit more output than the msd setup.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/17/08 01:13 AM

I like my 6AL box. Nice to have a rev limiter with a stick car in case I break something while racing it or getting on it.

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/17/08 01:21 AM

Quote:

I like my 6AL box. Nice to have a rev limiter with a stick car in case I break something while racing it or getting on it.

That's one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and get it. never know when you're gonna miss that next gear. lol
Posted By: BobR

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/17/08 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and get it. never know when you're gonna miss that next gear. lol

You will need it sometime but in the mean time the confidence it gives you will make you a better driver. -Bob
Posted By: Vert

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/17/08 02:35 AM

Quote:

At higher RPM, the MSD boxes just provide a single spark (your limited by the cap and rotor design), but by then there is good intake velocity so the air/furl mixture will be more conistant.

Spot on information; the limiting factor is the duration of the sparks produced vs the time available to spark a cylinder given the rotational speed. Once you reach a certain RPM its time to fire the next cylinder before you could spark a cylinder a second time. A better cap and rotor design might help, but unless you make shorter duration sparks, you can't fit more into a given amount of time.

I used a Crane CD unit 30 years ago and had a noticeble difference on my 71 Charger. I'll probably buy a Crane unit again soon as I like the built in rev limiter. BTW, a recent issue of the Summit catalog had a great comparison of specs on MSD,Crane, Mallory, Accel, & Summit units. Unfortunately I can't find it in my current catalog.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/17/08 02:52 AM

Quote:

Necessary? No of course not. Do they help? Some swear by them, others say they do nothing.

i'm a firm believer in that they do nothing. one good spark at the RIGHT TIME is all a engine needs.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/19/08 01:27 AM

Quote:

thanks for all the input. I went ahead and bought the mallory and Hyfire 6AL since it has a bit more output than the msd setup.

You should love it I have a mallory hyfire box on my duster drag car and couldnt be happier with it. It went from points (which suck and I wouldnt run them on anything) to the mopar electronic ignition setup which isnt bad to the mallory hyfire box. It made a dramatic difference in how the car started,idled,and noticeably better throttle throttle response. Im not saying it works miracles but Im pleased. It also is lower priced than the msd and takes less current draw to run,no rev chips to worry about,and if you want to place it on a /6 like I did you can reuse it later on a v8 car unlike an msd which if you set it up for a 6 cylinder to bad you'll have to keep putting it on a 6 or whatever it's setup for. Mallory is a better buy IMO, I had an msd and had problems with it but maybe I just got a bad one?

Yes some of us here do modify /6's

Attached picture 4497584-Picture553.jpg
Posted By: WayneM

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/19/08 03:23 PM

I love that 6er! Does it have a lope? What carb is that? This is a good thread in case I want to move away from the chrome box.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: MSD/Mallory boxes really necessary? - 06/19/08 03:26 PM

MSD is only MSD until about 2800-3000rpm. If you have a mild engine The mopar boxes and systems work fine. FWIW I've even used Summit brand electronics on low 12 second cars. I swaped to MSD in a 67 coronet when the old unit went and noticed no difference in performace or easy of operation.
© 2024 Moparts Forums