Moparts

Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushing Fitment Questions

Posted By: In_The_Pink

Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushing Fitment Questions - 05/05/09 02:53 PM

I need some

I replaced the leaf springs in my '77 Aspen last year with new springs from JRS and used two new rear shackle kits from NAPA, which included eight new rubber bushings for the shackle brackets and rear spring eyes. The bushings fit perfectly snug in the hanger brackets, but the stems of the bushings are not a snug fit inside the spring's rear eye hole. The bushing stem diameter is 1", while the spring eye's inside diameter is 1-1/8".

I've looked at the Moper Performance rear leaf spring bushing kits and see both A-body and E/B-body 1" bushing kits are available, but they appear to be the same as the bushings I already have.

Are the bushings supposed to be loose inside the spring's eye and only tight/snng at the outer edges, where the head of the bushing flares out a bit when the shackle nut it tightened?

I can only tighten the shackle nuts so far as the shackle bolt is only threaded so far. When fully tightened (and torqued to spec, which IIRC is 30 ft/lbs) with the bushings in place, the spring still has way too much play and it just doesn't feel or look correct.

I would love to install and would feel more comfortable if there was an upsized bushing, but 1" is as large as I've seen.

Suggestions?

Attached is a pic of the current bushings.

Attached picture 5209239-LSBUSH1.jpg
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushing Fitment Questions - 05/05/09 05:08 PM

Mancini...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/straigshacse.html

They are supposed to be tight and were hard to remove on mine.
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushing Fitment Questions - 05/05/09 05:20 PM

Oh yea, mine were very tight also. I replaced mine
with some from Espo and they were also tight.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushing Fitment Questions - 05/05/09 05:24 PM

ESPO prices are not very expensive. Do they look oem?

Wait that was a 'each' price. What was the cost for the rear shackles and bushings?
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushing Fitment Questions - 05/05/09 05:30 PM

They look "ok"
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Eye Bushing Fitment Questions - 05/05/09 08:45 PM

I went to Babcock Spring in Milwaukee and they ordered four new 1-7/64" Harris (which is the same brand as the NAPA pieces) bushings, so I should be good to go.
© 2024 Moparts Forums