Moparts

Power vs Manual steering

Posted By: 1971cudaNY

Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 01:09 AM

Looking to switch to manual steering in my 1970 Barracuda. Any opinions, preferences, thoughts, advice???
Thanks
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 05:59 AM

Ever see the series Bullrun?
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 06:10 AM

my aar has manual steering...or armstrong steering...

i would stick with power steering...unless you are going drag racing.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 06:14 AM

Well it is lighter but I wouldn't do it unless it is a drag only car.

BTW my car is manual steer.

The one finger PS on Mopars is pretty fun when you have driven one with manual. My car is light so it isn't that bad. Your car looks like it might be light so you could roll the dice.

I would suggest finding a buddy that will let you drive theirs before you pull the trigger. Low speed can be a hand full. I kinda pay attention to where I pull in so I have the least amount of effort when I leave.

You won't have any issues at speed, normal driving. If you are pushing it hard then you might not care for it. Some of the autocross guys would be better for comment on that. I just cruise around and go fast in a straight line.
Posted By: Hubbs

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 01:11 PM

I agree - stick with the p/s. I had manual and traded up to power and will lnever go back. It's just so....luxurious!
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 01:24 PM

I have manual steering in my big brown box. Its not that bad and my front tires are pretty wide. I have a 20:1 box and wouldn't go any steeper. I saved my power steering for when I'm in my 70s or get girl arms

Ken

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 02:21 PM

I have seen the series Bullrun...why?

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 02:22 PM

thanks for the input guys...
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Power vs Manual steering - 05/05/09 05:02 PM

From what I remembered the Dart had manual steering, so did the Camaro. In competition the Camero had problems turning around and I believe that was the big reason for them losing. Although the Dart did well, it was arms and elbows in the dirt. May not have wreaked it if he had p/s but that is debatable.

Drag strip and cruising is ok, but I would never think about auto crossing it, esp. with how many turns it takes to go lock to lock.
© 2024 Moparts Forums