Moparts

Need help with 440 (Long)

Posted By: soul challenger

Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:13 AM

I have a 440 in a 74 Charger. This engine has been in this car for 4 years with no problems. I got it out this year and it ran great. On the way home from a show it started to run bad. It will idle OK in park, but when I put it in gear it won't hardly idle and once it warms up it loses fuel pressure. Going down the road it runs great until you have to stop, then it wants to die. I figured it was the fuel pump. I replaced it and checked the pump push rod and it looks good. I also checked the fuel filter and it is fine as well. Any ideas on what the problem may be? Thanks
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:20 AM

You said it loses fuel pressure. Are you running an electric pump and do you have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. It sounds like a carb issue to me.

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:27 AM

It is a mechanical fuel pump. I have an inline gauge. It has pressure when cold, the warmer it gets the less pressure it has, goes to zero. Thank you.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:28 AM

Do you have a press guage at the carb feed line?

That will help you figure out if it is a carb problem of a fuel feed problem.

Ever drop the fuel tank (crud)?

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:31 AM

I had the tank out a few years ago and it looked brand new inside. That may be the next thing I do is check the tank.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:36 AM

Quote:

It is a mechanical fuel pump. I have an inline gauge. It has pressure when cold, the warmer it gets the less pressure it has, goes to zero. Thank you.

is it a fluid filled gauge?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:37 AM

carb/vacuum leak/ EDIT possibley plugs/wires
Posted By: gch

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:01 PM

I would take a look inside the carb itself.Other ideas are pickup sock in the tank partially clogged and replace your fuel filter also.
Plugs and wires ahould be inspected also.
Posted By: MY340

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 01:15 PM

Check for cracked hoses from tank to carb if you have any as it may be sucking air.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 02:04 PM

Quote:

Check for cracked hoses from tank to carb if you have any as it may be sucking air.

that's what I'd do 1st. a crack line will do that. The one at the tank to the main line check 1st.

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 11:04 PM

Thanks alot for the help. I thought the rubber line from the tank to the main line was kinked, replaced it with braided hose and it still won't run right.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/03/09 11:48 PM

did you ck the hose back at the tank for any splits? also the sock inside the tank could be getting clogged up with silt... good luck dan
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/04/09 12:24 AM

you might also want to check to ensure you're not creating a vacuum in the tank. When it dies open the gas cap and see if is sucks air---Probably not the problem, but its such and easy check you should rule it out.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Need help with 440 (Long) - 05/05/09 10:27 AM

Check to see if you have the 4 atmospheric breather tubes blocked off on the fuel tank (from the underside) I blocked mine off when I installed the tank on my 70 Charger and I lost fuel pressure because the fuel tank was sucking it back from the motor. Make sure you have proper vent lines. Drive around with a 1/4 tank of gas and some duct tape with holes in it on the gas cap area and see if the car runs right. Late at night so fuel doesnt go sloshing in and out of the neck tube.
© 2024 Moparts Forums