Moparts

A833 leak question

Posted By: dodger1

A833 leak question - 05/03/09 12:51 AM

Hi , My A833 (cast Iron) has a leak that Im trying to locate, I replaced the seal at the tail shaft, the speedo gaskets, and the reverse lght switch, I dont see oil coming from the side cover area, the side with the fill plug is wet and also it looks ike around the inspection cover is wet, I tightened the fill plug could that leak, or maybe a seal on the front side above the inspection cover were the shaft comes out of the front of the case. thanks for any help!
Posted By: spini1969

Re: A833 leak question - 05/03/09 12:54 AM

Check where the reverse idler rod comes out of the case. There is an o-ring that commonly fails there. Has to come comepletely apart to cahnge unfortunately if thats the case.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: A833 leak question - 05/03/09 12:57 AM

Possiblities include...

-Input shaft seal.
-Countershaft bore in maincase at the front. This area should always be sealed with RTV during a rebuild.

Don't discount the possibility that the case is cracked at the fill and/or drain plug. Some people overtigthen the plugs(they are NPT) and the force of the tapered plug will sometimes cause a small crack at the threaded holes in the case for the drain/fill plugs.

MB

Re: A833 leak question - 05/03/09 01:01 AM

If thats the cuase can I do it with the tranny in the car or do I need to pull it thanks

Re: A833 leak question - 05/03/09 01:08 AM

I geuss I should have had it reuilt before I put it in, if the front seal is bad will the clutch get oil on it , I havent had any slipage. thanks
Posted By: HPMike

Re: A833 leak question - 05/03/09 08:25 PM

Quote:

If thats the cuase can I do it with the tranny in the car or do I need to pull it thanks

Yes, you will have to remove the trans to fix these issues, and there is a good chance that the front seal is rock hard and should be replaced as well.

MB
© 2024 Moparts Forums