Moparts

U joint question - swapped center section

Posted By: Prostock

U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 09:33 PM

I just replaced the center section in my Road Runner, and didn't notice until I was putting the driveshaft back in that the yokes are different.

The oneI replaced it with has a larger yoke.

Is there a different u-joint that I can swap to make it work? If so, do you have a part number?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 09:40 PM

No part number off hand, but there is a conversion joint available from CarQuest, and Autozone,....it's a cheapy,...I'd recommend you stop by a driveshaft shop and get the Splicer brand, unless CQ or AZ can get can assure you of the Splicer brand,....I have two cars running the conversion joints,...no problems,......also contact DrDiff here on Moparts, I believe he has conversion joints as well
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 09:40 PM

I think this is the u-joint you are taking about. Good luck

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/shaft/4.html
Posted By: 69DartGT

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 09:42 PM

Jess if I remember correctly the Dart has a conversion u joint on it?
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 09:48 PM

Quote:

Yes it does, I noticed that. I had never seen one before so threw me off for a bit.

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 10:00 PM

The one I took out has a smaller yoke on it than the one I put in. Is that the conversion ujoint for going that way?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 10:10 PM

Quote:

The one I took out has a smaller yoke on it than the one I put in. Is that the conversion ujoint for going that way?

yes
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 10:10 PM

Quote:

It's the same u joint either way.

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 10:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's the same u joint either way.

Maybe I am having a senior moment, but how can replacing the rear ujoint in the driveshaft with this conversion joint work in both center sections, small and large yoke?

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check with a local driveline shop on Monday.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 10:21 PM

The Joint don't care if the small caps go into the shaft or into the rear end yoke. Or if the large caps do.

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/02/09 10:26 PM

Cool. Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: BSB67

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/03/09 01:05 AM

You should measure and make sure that you need a 7260/7290 conversion. I could be 7260/1330.
Posted By: MoparJoe

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/03/09 01:17 AM

Quote:

You should measure and make sure that you need a 7260/7290 conversion. I could be 7260/1330.

7260/1330 would be a problem because there is no adaptor joint, I just went thru this and had to get a new shaft made with 7290 on the front and 1330 on the rear, there is a 7290/1330 joint but since I was building from scratch I had the 1330 weld yoke installed.

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/03/09 02:50 AM

I measured each today, but I can't remember what they were exactly. I'll measure again tomorrow.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/03/09 03:15 AM

just DONT make the mistake i did... YOU MUST GET THE CORRECT STRAPS for the SMALL u joint the originals [from the large] will work for a while... DAMHIK... i knew i had to do it but just forgot... broke the trans tailshaft clean off..luckily no other damage.. dan

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/03/09 04:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it does, I noticed that. I had never seen one before so threw me off for a bit.

The place that did the driveshaft installed the joint I think it was a Spicer.

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/03/09 02:34 PM

Quote:

just DONT make the mistake i did... YOU MUST GET THE CORRECT STRAPS for the SMALL u joint the originals [from the large] will work for a while... DAMHIK... i knew i had to do it but just forgot... broke the trans tailshaft clean off..luckily no other damage.. dan

The replacement center section had the straps on it.

I'll measure it today. What is needed, length and width?

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/03/09 08:29 PM

One is 3 1/4" X 2, the larger is 3 3/4 X 2.

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/04/09 02:29 AM

Bump. Is the conversion joint the one I need?

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/04/09 03:15 AM

REad about half way down on this link it has the numbers that may help.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/shaft/5.html
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/04/09 11:38 AM

I am running a 7260/1330 conversion joint

large size has 1" caps and is 3 5/8 across,has tabs on the yoke to hold the caps in with straps...no clips

small side has clips to hold the caps in with straps

I found it under a 67 polar with a 3.23/742 case with HP440 or 426 also will cross over to a ford/crysler conversion joint

I dont have my napa part # handy but will get it and post it later

measure across the yoke,put the straps on and measure the cap

small,large,larger are the u-joints

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/04/09 01:37 PM

I'll measure again tonight. Thanks!

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/05/09 01:44 PM

I called a local driveline shop and explained my situation. They said they should be able to fix it up. I'm going to drop the driveshaft and the straps off tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: U joint question - swapped center section - 05/05/09 01:46 PM

Quote:

No part number off hand, but there is a conversion joint available from CarQuest, and Autozone,....it's a cheapy,...I'd recommend you stop by a driveshaft shop and get the Splicer brand, unless CQ or AZ can get can assure you of the Splicer brand,....I have two cars running the conversion joints,...no problems,......also contact DrDiff here on Moparts, I believe he has conversion joints as well

I might have to do that if I can't find a slip yoke for the trans. Should be ok. I ran 12.0's with one on the rear w/ zero problems
© 2024 Moparts Forums