Moparts

Torque wrench calibration/testing

Posted By: Lee446

Torque wrench calibration/testing - 04/30/09 08:49 PM

How often do you have your torque wrench tested? It has been several years since I had my Proto's checked, and the place that did it is long gone. I called Proto and they said to send them to GA, but getting them checked locally would be more convenient. What do Y'all do?
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 04/30/09 08:57 PM

Take to a local shop to do it.
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 04/30/09 09:05 PM

click wrench or dial wrench?
click is not worth it...dial is not really worth it either. too many variables on the wrenches.
Where are you located? Might be a PSI in your area. They might do calibrations. Look in your phone book for calibration shops in your area.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 04/30/09 11:08 PM

I have a click wernch and a beam wrench. I have hooked them together just to see if the click wrench "clicks" at a particular setting - based on what the beam wrench sez. Found that the click wernch readings are not linear - reads high on the low end and low on the high end. This is based on the beam wrench readings of coarse - and I don't know whether it's any good ether. I perfer to believe my beam wrench - but I don't know why
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 04/30/09 11:12 PM

I know a place in desoto tx that does calibration. I am not sure if they will do click wrenches and beam wrenchs. Its one of the Ingersoll Rand tool stores. Their phone number is 972-228-2223. Ask to talk to Mike Cennali or Nikki Jackson they might be able to help you out. Tell them Bob Dunn from the NASC told you to call them.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 02:18 AM

They are the micrometer type. I have asked around locally and have had no luck yet. I will call some of the race shops and see if they know a place. I might give the folks in Desoto a call, after I figure out where that is!! Thanks to all!
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 02:32 AM

Snap On sells a torque calibrator / checker. Might
call the local rep to check out the tools.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 04:03 AM

Any of the tool truck guys, or local machinist should know where to go.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 04:16 AM

Quote:

They are the micrometer type. I have asked around locally and have had no luck yet. I will call some of the race shops and see if they know a place. I might give the folks in Desoto a call, after I figure out where that is!! Thanks to all!

Desoto is a bit south of Dallas off I35E

Lived off Pleasant Run Rd back in teh 80's
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 07:18 AM

http://www.stockcarracing.com/howto/scrp_0803_calibrating_a_torque_wrench/index.html
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 11:16 AM

I have a friend that works for our local Whayne Supply (Caterpillar) that gets mine calibrated twice a year.
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 11:55 AM

Look for a mt&e shop in the phone book (master test & evaluation)
Posted By: rth

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 05:20 PM

just read article in aug mopar action.their build up of a 360 has a sidebar about t/wrenches.they say beam type best and most accurate.pretty much never goes out of calibration even after multiple drops.
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: Torque wrench calibration/testing - 05/01/09 05:57 PM

New higher end wrenches use strain gauges to actuate
a tone and or vibration in the handle. They are
pretty nice and very accurate with limited drift.

They are going to cost you, but I like the one
or two I have.
© 2024 Moparts Forums