Moparts

weights on torque converter- update ??

Posted By: beesting

weights on torque converter- update ?? - 04/30/09 07:58 PM

If you change a 318 to a 360 but keep the 318 trans do you have to add weights to the converter to change the balance of the converter? I thought it just bolted up and go, but sounds like its off balance or maybe flywheel is cracked. thanks!!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: weights on torque converter - 04/30/09 08:05 PM

Yes the converter from a 318 must have weights welded to it to work on a 360 or a B&M flex plate for a 360. 360's are external balanced, 318 internal balanced.
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: weights on torque converter - 04/30/09 10:32 PM

Not a big thing to do 20$, instructions are in the box..very easy

Daniel
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: weights on torque converter - 04/30/09 10:49 PM

answer is symply like counterweights with cast cranks, and non counterweight with forged cranks... no matter engine.

Re: weights on torque converter - 04/30/09 11:12 PM

Quote:

answer is symply like counterweights with cast cranks, and non counterweight with forged cranks... no matter engine.

Not quite true. 318 cast or forged are internal balance with no additional weights.

Re: weights on torque converter - 04/30/09 11:46 PM

Thanks for the replys

Re: weights on torque converter - 05/01/09 02:17 AM

Quote:

Not a big thing to do 20$, instructions are in the box..very easy

Daniel

Just did mine last week......a snap!

Re: weights on torque converter - one more ? - 05/02/09 03:38 AM

where did you get the kit at, ok 1 more - you do have to drop tranny to do it? thanks again!!

Re: weights on torque converter - one more ? - 05/02/09 06:59 AM

Mopar performance...P4120241 for non magnum 360
Yes you need to taqke the tranny out...

Daniel

Re: weights on torque converter - one more ? - 05/02/09 10:09 AM

thanks
Posted By: SANDYinNS Canada

Re: weights on torque converter - one more ? - 05/02/09 04:09 PM

Quote:

Daniel

No you don't I'm a converter builder and saved lots of guys by doing it in the vehicle. All you have to do is figure out where the weight goes and weld it on IN the car.

Id the converter has a drain plug it is real easy to figure out

Re: weights on torque converter - one more ? - 05/02/09 09:06 PM

You are right, you can figure out where the offset bolt is by removing the shield and measuring as you turn the engine......then weld it where it goes.....

Mine did not have a drain plug.....

Daniel

Re: weights on torque converter - one more ? - 05/02/09 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Daniel

No you don't I'm a converter builder and saved lots of guys by doing it in the vehicle. All you have to do is figure out where the weight goes and weld it on IN the car.

Id the converter has a drain plug it is real easy to figure out

It isn't that bad to do when the converter is in the car. Simple if the converter has a drain plug.

Re: weights on torque converter - update ? - 05/18/09 12:01 AM

ok my trans is a 904 and my brother had a flex plate from summit well i drop my tranny and take torque converter off here flex plate was finger loose all of the bolts i took off by hand ok my torque has thin weights on the outside of it the part that goes into the tranny not where it bolts to the flex plate . flex plate brother had was on a 727 here's ? would my old flex plate work with no noise if tighten right this time, since there is weights on converter or do i still need special flexplate and if do will brothers work? sorry so long THANKS
Posted By: 420duster

Re: weights on torque converter - update ? - 05/18/09 12:10 AM

Not to jump in but ,,,So can you use just a new flexplate ? Or torque converter weights too ? Thanks

Re: weights on torque converter - update ? - 05/18/09 12:38 AM

The thin weights on the transmission side are to finish balance (neutally) the converter. The external balance converters have larger wieghts on the engine side. Usually in the area of the drain (when so equiped).
© 2024 Moparts Forums