Moparts

Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ?

Posted By: AlexP

Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/15/08 07:46 AM

How much did your conversion to a 5 speed cost you ?

I have most of the stuff to go 4 speed, but I flogged a Keisler equipped car tonight and it was love at first shift. I desperately want OD now.

If I have the bellhousing, pedals, linkage and flywheel...how much will it run me to get a 5 speed into the car, and how all is offering kits aside from Keisler ?
Posted By: Classof70Chally

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/15/08 04:32 PM

The cost will vary depending on what you need. The 4 spd to 5 spd 'kit' prices assume several things. Some of these include that you send them your existing bellhousing to be remachined for the Tremec. If not then a new Kiesler unit is about $300. A pistol grip will run you about $140? if you don't already have one and a decent clutch and press plate will be another $300 or so. They will also make up a new driveline (incl in kit) but they require that you to first install the trans, measure the distance, and then fax them the info. Then about 2 weeks later you get your driveline. My 4 spd to 5 spd swap cost me $4,300 + or - but I upgraded the clutch, bought a new press plate and pistol grip and bought their bellhousing. I think the minimum you could get away for with the basic kit will be around $3,500 after shipping, etc.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/15/08 04:43 PM

what about sending your 4 speed to passon for the OD treatment?
Posted By: mkdart

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/15/08 05:33 PM

I did bought mine 2 years ago at the nats.I have about 4k into it.I had the factory bell and flywheel, but ended up with an after market billet flywheel. Cast flywheel and aluminum bell
scared me a little. I think I'll buy a Quicktime
bell shortly. But the car is a joy to drive.
Mike

Attached picture 4490481-New020.jpg

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/15/08 08:20 PM

What clutch do you have to use with their kits ? Isn't a mustang 26 spline clutch ?
Posted By: Danimal

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/15/08 09:17 PM

i bought the mcleod street-twin clutch/pressure plate package from keisler several years ago when i was planning that same swap behind a 440.

it's got a 130 tooth/6-bolt flywheel and 26 spline clutch disks.

I'm trying to get rid of the clutch/pressure plate now since that project is long gone. so if you need one with only some shelf wear at a big discount let me know.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 12:44 AM

About 4 grand out-the-door about 5 years ago. Worth it.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 12:49 AM

Wasn't there a post from someone who had problems with the Keisler units? I could be wrong I my self don't like the idea of having something else but a Mopar behind my motor. Yet, I too, want a OD. What to do?
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 01:51 AM

A bit over $4,000.00
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 01:22 PM

Under $3k

I think a B body would be much easier than my E-body swap.

Start with a Mustang spec TKO600 and get a Lakewood bell. Turn the TKO bearing retainer to Mopar size and re-fit. Mock it up, mark bolt holes in lakewood and drill. Bolt it together with flange nuts inside and tack weld nuts.

Use factory clutch linkage with a Jeep 4.0L throwout bearing with is a dead ringer for the mopar one but fits the Tremec bearing tube perfectly.

The TKO's use a Chevy spline and since GM and Mopar Pressure plates have the same pattern I was simply able to buy an off the shelf 11" clutch kit from Summit for an GM product.

Since the B-body shifter position is located forward more than the E-body you would have to relocate the shifter to one of the other positions. It will be on center rather than offset to the drivers side.

Theres more homework to be done but that the jist of it.

Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 03:08 PM

I wonder if you have to cut the cross member on a b-body to get a tko to fit? Doesn't the new Quicktime bell allow you to bolt up a TKO? This might make it a little easier for the DIYer.

I have $3500 in my kit. The only extras were the disc ($69) and T/O bearing.

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 03:49 PM

Quote:

I wonder if you have to cut the cross member on a b-body to get a tko to fit? Doesn't the new Quicktime bell allow you to bolt up a TKO? This might make it a little easier for the DIYer.

I have $3500 in my kit. The only extras were the disc ($69) and T/O bearing.

If you look at the pics on Keislers site, they have the shifter in the middle position and the rearmost (mustang) position has been notched and a custom sheetmetal cover RTV'ed on which must be to clear the T-bar crossmember Arch. Probably the DIY could accomplish the same easily with access to a mill.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 07:13 PM

How about with access to a hacksaw and flat file?

R.

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 07:17 PM

Quote:

How about with access to a hacksaw and flat file?

Sure, why not. Hey, I took a sawzall and chopped out the center of the T-bar X-member on my 71 cuda to fit my Tremec.
Posted By: rj8806

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 08:58 PM

O.k., the mustang "spec" TKO is not correct. All TKO's are based on a Ford transmission(not the mustang). The only mustang that a TKO fits in directly is a Fox body car (1979-1993).

If you have a 4 speed car, the price is generally in the $3200-$3500 range depending on what you need.
On a 4 speed car, the torsion bar cross member is in the way of our shifter, therefore, we have to move the shifter over to the center of the tunnel. Because the carpet has a hole in it for the 4 speed offset towards the drivers side, you'll need to switch over to the automatic carpet. Other than cutting a 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" hole for the new shifter location, there is no more cutting involved on a B-body 4 speed swap over.

Richard
Posted By: Sinister68

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 09:07 PM

>$5K for the whole conversion kit from Automatic to TKO500
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 09:09 PM

Is this the 68 Charger that Alex got a ride in?

Darren

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 09:16 PM

I spoke with Gene today breifly. He said I can be done for about what I was thinking. I can use my lakewood bellhousing and a lot of the stuff I have gathered. After experiencing OD in a hotrod, I don't think I would live with a 1:1 top gear...

What is the consensus on using an 11" aluminum flywheel on a street car that will be used daily ? I picked up on the Mcleod sale for $217 to my door on a 143T flywheel, and I would really like to use it....

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/16/08 09:20 PM

Nope, it was another Houston buddy of mine. He tried every hydraulic throw out bearing under the sun, and now has a very poorly functioning mechaincal linkage in the car, but it works...barely. I will stay with a mechanical linkage for my car.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/16/08 10:06 PM

Here are some pics of the install. The dreaded hole. [lol].

Attached picture 4492967-000_1146aaa.JPG

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/16/08 10:06 PM

More hole.

Attached picture 4492968-000_1147bbb.JPG

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/16/08 10:07 PM

nudder.

Attached picture 4492969-000_1148ccc.JPG

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/16/08 10:08 PM

more

Attached picture 4492972-000_1149ddd.JPG

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/16/08 10:08 PM

other side

Attached picture 4492974-000_1150fff.JPG

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost you ? - 06/16/08 10:13 PM

The impossible to fit keisler floor plate.[lol].

Attached picture 4492987-100_0273ggg.JPG
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/17/08 01:01 AM

hey alex...i saw you with the grin on your face when driving that red bomber around.

didnt think you would get that in love with the setup tho.

makes for a fun driving car does it not.

for the record tho, im going with a gearvendors unit on the 727. just because i have everything together already.

steve
Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/17/08 01:43 AM

Hey, Alex,
I got one of those a week or so back, too, and I don't really have any fear of running it behind my 340. With more displacement and not THAT much more weight, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. Nice thing about those flywheels is they're drilled for 10.5 and 11" bolt patterns. you could run a 10.5" clutch and shifting would be super slick... less mass for the synchros to control, so they'll work better.

Clair
Posted By: Sinister68

Re: Tremec based 5 Speed swap...how much did it cost yo - 06/17/08 02:49 AM

The hydraulic clutch in my TKO500 works fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums