Moparts

Chrysler Pentastar when and why

Posted By: BlueRacer69

Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/05/24 05:03 AM

What year did Chrysler start putting the Pentastar on the lower passenger front fender and why. What was the meaning of it? Thanks.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/05/24 05:30 AM

According to Google: History and why.

"The Pentastar logo was placed on the lower passenger-side fender of all Chrysler products, including non-US brands, from 1963 into the 1972 model year. It was placed on the passenger
side fender so it could be viewed by passers-by, a subtle method of getting the symbol ingrained in the public's mind: a nameplate has to be read, but a symbol is quickly recognizable without reading. Thus left-hand drive cars had the Pentastar on the right fender, while right-hand drive cars had it on the left.

"Starting in the 1980's, hood ornaments on Chrysler-brand vehicles used a gem-like version of the Pentastar to signify the brand's upscale status.

"The Pentastar's final badging appearance was on special editions of the 1996-2000 Plymouth Voyager. It was also applied to the steering wheel, keys, and fenders of the Voyager and the other Chrysler NS minivans."

I believe the original ignition keys for my 1969 model also had the logo.

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/05/24 02:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was once told that it was to celebrate the beginning of the new 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty. Is that true?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/05/24 02:27 PM

I’ve heard that sidewalk reasoning and it just sounds hokey. Maybe it was one decision maker’s idea at Mopar that never got questioned and was just approved, perhaps with a roll of the eye. “Hey I got an idea…let’s put a pentastar on the fender but only on one visible from the sidewalk!” “OK Barney..
Let’s move on”.
Posted By: larry4406

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/05/24 08:09 PM

I had also read that it was similar to an artist signing their painting in the lower right corner.
Posted By: A12

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/06/24 01:39 AM

I think the term was "curb side" but passenger's side is to the point also.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/07/24 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
I’ve heard that sidewalk reasoning and it just sounds hokey. Maybe it was one decision maker’s idea at Mopar that never got questioned and was just approved, perhaps with a roll of the eye. “Hey I got an idea…let’s put a pentastar on the fender but only on one visible from the sidewalk!” “OK Barney..
Let’s move on”.

It may sound "hokey", but it makes sense. You could plainly see the logo/emblem
and immediately tell the vehicle was a Chrysler built car. So the marketing department had a good idea
IMO... and also, my '72 Duster original keys had the pentastar logo on them too. The trunk key was
round, with "Chrysler Corporation" stamped onto it.

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/07/24 10:34 PM

From "the history of the Chrysler Pentastar"

"It was placed on the passenger side fender so it could be viewed by passers-by, a subtle method of getting the symbol ingrained in the public's mind: a nameplate has to be read, but a symbol is quickly recognizable without reading. Thus left-hand drive cars had the Pentastar on the right fender, while right-hand drive cars had it on the left."

https://www.moparmuscleofcentralpa.com/history-of-the-pentastar.html
Posted By: ackpht

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/08/24 12:09 AM

And we can only imagine how many guys bought repro Pentastars because they thought one was missing.

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/08/24 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by ackpht
And we can only imagine how many guys bought repro Pentastars because they thought one was missing.

laugh2

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/09/24 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRacer69
Thanks for the reply. I was once told that it was to celebrate the beginning of the new 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty. Is that true?
I'm I the only one that's heard this. Any truth to this.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/09/24 01:53 AM

Nope.

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/09/24 05:22 AM

That would have meant that the Pentastar should have been deleted on cars like the A12's and the Hemi with only a 12-month warranty wouldn't it if that's what it signified?

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/09/24 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by A12

That would have meant that the Pentastar should have been deleted on cars like the A12's and the Hemi with only a 12-month warranty wouldn't it if that's what it signified?
Not to sure about that. My M-code 1969 440 Dart GTS has the Pentastar on it, and those cars only had a 1 Year or 12000 mile warranty.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/10/24 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by A12

Not to sure about that. My M-code 1969 440 Dart GTS has the Pentastar on it, and those cars only had a 1 Year or 12000 mile warranty.

Well there is your answer. They all got it warranty never had nothing to do with it.

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/10/24 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by A12

I was being sarcastic as I have an A12 RR and a '69 M-Code 440 Dart GTS also with the single curb side Pentastar. A couple of friends have '68/'69 Hemi's also with the single Pentastar. Not for the 5/50 warranty IMO.

There are three M-Code 440 Dart GTS's in my area within a few miles including mine and an M-Code '69 440 Cuda and I just checked all of the curb side photos I have of them and they all have the single Pentastar. Here's Richard G's M-Code 440 Dart GTS.

Attached picture IMG_4849A.jpg

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/10/24 01:38 AM

Thanks for all the reply's
Posted By: Ramtough

Re: Chrysler Pentastar when and why - 05/26/24 06:34 PM

63 to 72 on all cars and trucks, according to my Dad, who was a Chrysler tech at the time, it was significance was a "Mark of Excellence ", that's why it was only on the car in one place.
© 2024 Moparts Forums