Moparts

How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh?

Posted By: BrianT

How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 11:07 AM

Like the title suggests, I'm trying to find out how much a 1966 Dodge Coronet 440 weighs? It's a street car but has an aluminum headed 440. It's my buddy's car and we were bench racing the other night got into a discussion about weight. He is using the curb weight that he found on some website, but I argue that his car is heavier than that. What say you all? Pic for reference.

Attached picture Gary.jpg
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 11:32 AM

Headers? Auto trans? 8-3/4? Full interior?

My guess is 3650 with full tank of gas.

Nice ride.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 12:35 PM

16 ounces to the pound...guaranteed
Posted By: bobby66

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 12:46 PM

Well, my '66 Charger Weighed 4150 at the track in Ennis. That's with my 200# butt in the seat. Coronet probably 100 lbs. less. work
Posted By: wingman

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 02:04 PM

You'll get a lot of fairly good educated guesses on this site, but every car is different based on how it is equipped. Factory options equipped and aftermarket parts like wheels and heads can make a big difference.

Best way to know for sure is to weigh it. Many truck stops, race tracks, and moving companies will have a scale. Might charge you and your buddy a couple bucks but then you will know for sure.

Be sure everything is equal--gas tank full or empty, driver in or out of the car, etc.

Nice car, BTW.
Posted By: BrianT

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 03:00 PM

Car has headers and full exhaust. No power steering or brakes. 727 and 8 3/4” rear end. Full factory interior.

I asked my buddy to put it on the scales at a local truck stop and he said “why should I do that, I already know how much it weighs?” That’s when the “debate” started.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 03:02 PM

Best take it to a scale and see for sure. Like said before, they can vary A LOT.
Posted By: wingman

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrianT
Car has headers and full exhaust. No power steering or brakes. 727 and 8 3/4” rear end. Full factory interior.

I asked my buddy to put it on the scales at a local truck stop and he said “why should I do that, I already know how much it weighs?” That’s when the “debate” started.

Ha!! grin Hard to argue with logic like that.

Only one way to settle this, then. Propose a friendly gentlemen's wager and have him put his money where his mouth is. Have him name a number and then take the "over" or the "under'. Then head to the scales! stirthepot twocents up
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 04:35 PM

It depends on which motor and tranny and accessories in that car. IE power steering, air conditioning, bucket seats and so on shruggy work
Go weigh it at a moving and storage company or a commercial truck scale nearby and let us know wrench scope
Weigh the front tires first with the driver in the car, both axles next and then the rear axle with the driver in that car still so he knows what it weighs going down the road. up
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
You'll get a lot of fairly good educated guesses on this site, but every car is different based on how it is equipped. Factory options equipped and aftermarket parts like wheels and heads can make a big difference.

Best way to know for sure is to weigh it. Many truck stops, race tracks, and moving companies will have a scale. Might charge you and your buddy a couple bucks but then you will know for sure.

Be sure everything is equal--gas tank full or empty, driver in or out of the car, etc.

Nice car, BTW.

This ^^^^^^ Take it to the local track , assuming there is one, and use their scale ...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/18/24 07:22 PM

I’m in at 3550 with 1/2 tank of gas.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/19/24 12:04 AM

The 66 Coronet I had years ago was a lot lighter. It was missing about the lower 3" of the rear quarter panels. whistling
I didn't weigh mine either, in fact, the only vehicles I had any idea what they weighed was the trucks I hauled scrap in with.
The truck pictured weighed 4850lbs with about a 1/2 tank of gas and me sitting in the seat. Adding the snow blade on the front added another 300 lbs.

Attached picture 50 Dodge 4x4 061.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/19/24 01:00 AM

I would guess 3500-3650, but it's just a guess working backward from my Hemi 4-spd '68 RR that I did scale.

Just place a bet, scale the car, and go from there; arguing about it without finding the facts is at best silly, and I'm being diplomatic.
Posted By: markz528

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/19/24 10:47 PM

My 67 Coronet 500 383 AC car was just a tad under 3800 lbs - 4025 with me in it.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/20/24 02:42 AM

If he thinks published curb weight even resembles actual, he's sadly mistaken.

Kevin
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: How Much Does A 66 Coronet Weigh? - 04/20/24 03:34 PM

I had a '67 Satellite that was 3250# in race condition on the track scales. Small block, automatic, headers w/ no exhaust, 8.75 rear with a spool and gun drilled axles, Dragstar wheels, skinny front and 28x9 slicks, fiberglass hood, power steering, floor shift w/ console, full bucket seat interior, all exterior trim intact, 10 gallons of gas, and me at 180#.

Add 150# for the big block, 100# for the cast aluminum wheel/street tire combo, 50# for stock axles and Sure grip, and 50# for a steel hood you are at 3600. Increase it an extra bit for more gas, larger driver, or cast iron exhaust.
© 2024 Moparts Forums