Moparts

Slant six straight pipe exhaust?

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/11/24 03:06 PM

I have a friend with a 65 valiant 225 slant six. Very stock car. Factory muffler is all rotted out. She would like a little more sound and is asking what muffler. I’m thinking ANY new muffler is going to be quiet compared to what she’s got and the tiny factory pipe is probably going to be replaced up to the manifold.

I’m thinking go with a little bigger pipe (2”?) and just run it all the way back, no muffler. Worst case she can insert a muffler afterwards if this sounds horrible.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: topside

Re: Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/11/24 03:35 PM

Back in the day, a glass-pack muffler on those sounded OK and wasn't too loud, but definitely audible.
The low-rider guys would run dual exhaust ("twice-pipes"), which had an interesting harmonic.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/11/24 05:35 PM

A six with splits can rack down a V8 any day. stirthepot
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/11/24 07:49 PM

What would a straight piped (one pipe) six sound like compared to stock? I’m thinking not that much louder, cause stock sixes were pretty quiet.
Posted By: jsully

Re: Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/11/24 08:27 PM

Agree with split into duals with no muffler. Ran a 70 Swinger that way for twenty years. Sounds awesome.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/12/24 01:07 PM

if the whole exhaust needs to be replaced, this isn't a horrible price for mandrel bent exhaust:

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/3-Slant6.htm

if you want some more noise, I'd get it without the muffler, and replace the turbo muffler they use with one of these:
https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ul...ra-flotm-welded-offset-centered-699.html
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/12/24 02:53 PM

Personally, I think no muffler on a slant 6 would sound terrible! When I was in High School in the 90's, I had a '74 Dart with a 225. I put a Purple Horny muffler on it and it sounded pretty cool.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Slant six straight pipe exhaust? - 03/12/24 03:59 PM

I would have a muffler too. Pre emissions slant sixes sound pretty throaty for a six with a muffler and I think without one she'll get tired of the drone real quick.
© 2024 Moparts Forums