Moparts

MPG

Posted By: Kudakidd

MPG - 03/02/24 06:09 PM

Any guesses as to what I'm getting for gas mileage? Stock 1970 440- 4 bbl. w/ 4.10's in a Dana. The dash does not have a trip odometer. Filling the tank and doing basic calculations isn't too accurate. TIA.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: MPG - 03/02/24 07:05 PM

On the road cruising on light throttle pressures at or below 2500 RPM between 12.0 t0 15.0 MPG, around town depending on how your driving 6 to 10 MPG
Posted By: d-150

Re: MPG - 03/02/24 07:16 PM

10 mpg

Re: MPG - 03/02/24 08:33 PM

As an addendum I'm taching 3,000rpm at 60 mph. I'd be thrilled with any mileage in the double digits! And I drive it like I had an egg under the go pedal. (Not all the time though. It is a Mopar!)
Posted By: topside

Re: MPG - 03/02/24 10:15 PM

Without knowing how far you've gone, it's only guessing.
I think the worst I ever got was my Hemi RR 4-speed, 4.10s - with its healthy engine, and not caring about MPG, it'd get 8 MPG mostly.
At a steady RPM & light throttle on the highway, maintaining 3000 RPM, it could tickle 10-11 MPG overall.
I could never keep my leg out of it for long...
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: MPG - 03/02/24 10:22 PM

It is a hot rod, I don't care what millage it gets. whistling LOL

My 440, fuel injected 6 Pac, 4:10 and Passion 4sp overdrive gets 11.2 mpg if I drive her gingerly. Real world every day driving is less than 10 mpg.

Attached picture 100_3250.jpg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: MPG - 03/02/24 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kudakidd
Filling the tank and doing basic calculations isn't too accurate. TIA.

It's a heck of a lot more accurate than any guess you'll get here.

Why do you think it's not accurate?

Re: MPG - 03/03/24 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by topside
I could never keep my leg out of it for long...

Imagine if you had yer foot into it! lol

Re: MPG - 03/03/24 01:01 AM

Some good real world info here. I was leaning toward about 8 mpg. I'm only saying that because the gas needle moves like a clock's second hand!
Anyone come across magazine specs?
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: MPG - 03/03/24 02:30 AM

Back in the early 70s fuel mileage wasn't a big issue, but horse power ratings where.

Someone may have an old add or dealer ProMo that listed MPGs.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: MPG - 03/03/24 02:44 AM

Matters if you take long trips.
Otherwise, for the weekend occasional day trip/ride shouldn't matter.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: MPG - 03/03/24 02:33 PM

As an addendum I'm taching 3,000rpm at 60 mph. I'd be thrilled with any mileage in the double digits! And I drive it like I had an egg under the go pedal. (Not all the time though. It is a Mopar!)

Put a vacuum gauge in it. If it shows double digits at cruise, it should be dd mpg.

Hook up your vacuum advance. Anything that will increase cruise vacuum helps MPG.

Kevin
Posted By: moparx

Re: MPG - 03/03/24 04:13 PM

smiles per gallon is what you should be concerned about, not miles per gallon. biggrin
seriously, having the vacuum advance hooked up and tuned for your combination [use the set screw inside the hose nipple to adjust tip in and make sure the advance can doesn't over advance] will make a big difference at steady cruise.
beer
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: MPG - 03/03/24 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyRag

Are you planning on taking the car on a long trip in the near future?
Is that why you want to get an MPG estimate?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: MPG - 03/04/24 12:44 AM

The trip odometer quit working on my truck about mid summer last year. Does you car still have a functioning odometer? Record the miles when you fill up, record the miles when you fill up the next time, and subtract the little number from the big number. Then divide that by the amount of gas you have added since the last fill up. the only way that is not accurate is if you didn't stop filling it at the same point each time. If you don't add any gas after the automatic shut off on the pump shuts off (buy the gas from the same pump from the same direction, at the same angle), you will be very close to getting the same fill each time.

I keep a little note book and a pen in the glove box to record the miles from the fast fill up. I can tell you pretty close how much gas its going to take to fill my truck up each time, based on the miles, and if it was all city, 1/2 city, or all highway driven. Any big block Mopar I ever had was between 8 mpg and 12mpg (that 12 was all highway).

Re: MPG - 03/04/24 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
Originally Posted by PhillyRag

Are you planning on taking the car on a long trip in the near future?
Is that why you want to get an MPG estimate?

My idea of a long trip now is about 80 miles round trip.
Posted By: jcc

Re: MPG - 03/04/24 12:08 PM

9.79 mpg

Re: MPG - 03/04/24 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
9.79 mpg

That may be spot on! lol
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: MPG - 03/04/24 11:13 PM

Re: MPG - 03/05/24 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by lewtot184

A man of few words.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: MPG - 03/08/24 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by lewtot184

A man of few words.
my reply wasn't meant to be obnoxious but based on my experience with low gears. i had a 383 4spd car i ran around on for a short while with 4.30's or 4.56, don't remember exactly but pretty sure it was only getting around 6 in town. my stock 440 r/t with 3.23's and a fairly good tune probably gets about 10 in town. these old dinosaurs are just inefficiently thirsty. one thing for sure is if mpg and a clean burn are important it's fairly difficult beat a stock avs carb.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: MPG - 03/09/24 02:58 PM

The dash does not have a trip odometer.

Try writing down your odometer reading when you fill it up.

Drive until almost empty.

Observe odometer reading when you go to fuel up, write it down.

Write down how many gallons you put in.

Subtract last odometer reading from the first one.

Divide miles to gallons used. This will give you mpg.

Report back with your results.

There are online calculators to assist with the subtracting and dividing if needed, but the pen, paper, and effort required to write 3 numbers down will have to come from you.
Posted By: randavis

Re: MPG - 03/09/24 03:43 PM

I have a 440 based 511 stroker with a solid roller cam in a 74 Challenger. It has 3.23 gears, 245-60-R15 Goodrich T/A tires, automatiac 727 with TF2 shift kit, and Holley Sniper fuel injection. The Sniper controls timing. I check milage at each fill up. I get between 9 and 11 mpg depending on driving conditions.
The basicaly stock 440 with the Purple Stripe cam (..474 lift) and AVS carb that preceeded this engine got 10 to 12 mpg.
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: MPG - 03/12/24 09:39 PM

Between 6 and 10 mpg.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: MPG - 03/12/24 11:51 PM

high single to low teens range.

I get about 10-12 if I keep my foot out of it for a full tank

One really good romp on the loud pedal for a bit , OR long trips at 70 plus,,,,and Im in single digits easily.

But being brutally honest. I dont care,,,,. I didnt buy if for its fuel economy.
Posted By: randavis

Re: MPG - 03/13/24 12:00 AM

But being brutally honest. I dont care,,,,. I didnt buy if for its fuel economy.

Well said!!!
Posted By: moparx

Re: MPG - 03/13/24 04:54 PM

remember, "smiles per mile" is the target. biggrin
beer
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: MPG - 03/13/24 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by randavis

Well said!!!

Agree! Always wondered about these MPG threads. I've had my car well over 30 yrs with a couple combos in it. Currently a 470" low deck w/solid roller cam 4 spd 3:73 gears....never once have I thought about MPG...Doesn't matter, I put maybe 1000 mi /yr on it. Plenty of smiles though. I've had people ask about mileage in my pickup as well....I always tell them it weighs 6000 lbs and has the aerodynamics of a brick....I bought it for a purpose,not fuel economy!
© 2024 Moparts Forums