Moparts

Engine Break In Without Exhaust System??

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 06:51 AM

Any reason why I can't break in an engine with long tube headers only (no pipes/mufflers)? I mean beside it being LOUD?
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 01:15 PM

No but its nice to hear what's going on. i adapt some old muffers to mine when I do it.
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 69hemibeep
No but its nice to hear what's going on. i adapt some old muffers to mine when I do it.

Agree. Also oil filters are cheap . After adequate break in time cut it open . Have a look. I do this after most days of racing. Has saved a disaster once so far.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
Any reason why I can't break in an engine with long tube headers only (no pipes/mufflers)? I mean beside it being LOUD?

Any reason?

Yes if something is going bad you won't hear it till it's too late , hang mufflers off the headers.
Posted By: topside

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 04:13 PM

By all means, mufflers, as stated already.
Ditto the oil filter check.
Water only, no antifreeze, in case there's a leak.

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by topside
By all means, mufflers, as stated already.
Ditto the oil filter check.
Water only, no antifreeze, in case there's a leak.

And get a timing light on it and bring the advance up to 35* at 2000 rpm or your headers are going to glow cherry red and it WILL overheat ...
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 04:52 PM

Good points guys. Thanks.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 05:14 PM

Everything above is true...

BUT

My first engine build was when I was 13 it was a 440hp with some decent improvements.

I broke it in with open headers. Engine gowling at 2k as I broke in the cam and the headers were glowing red. It was freakin awesome.

Haven't done a break in with open headers since but it was worth every second on my first build as a teenager. grin

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/01/24 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
Good points guys. Thanks.

Live and learn ....

I did it with open headers for cam break in back about 1980 , luckily nothing bad happened. Broke in a 440 about 2014 with headers and mufflers, cam started going flat about 5 mins in , if I had open headers we would have never heard the strange tick fan
Posted By: Neil

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/02/24 02:14 AM

Better with mufflers if possible. Loud noises don't do our ears any favors + if you live in certain types of neighborhoods a 20 minute cam break in with open exhaust may mean you get to explain yourself to the police.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Engine Break In Without Exhaust System?? - 03/02/24 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
Better with mufflers if possible. Loud noises don't do our ears any favors + if you live in certain types of neighborhoods a 20 minute cam break in with open exhaust may mean you get to explain yourself to the police.

amen to both of the above !
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums