Moparts

Master cylinder help

Posted By: racincuda

Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 08:16 PM

Well i hav been reedin other posts on master cylinders and it would seem that the one I just brought home is not gonna work all that well
Car is 69 Cuda w/74 discs up front & rear drums
340 powerd street car. Th RB master I brought home has a 1 3/32 bore, wat I have read indicates this large bore will require weight lifter legs to stop the car
So I am wondering wat others are using ?
Please include orig application YR and Model,
you kno how those parts house guys are dont cha
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 08:28 PM

'65 dart w 73 & up factory discs,10" rear drums,used a new '79 D100 truck MC that had IIRC with either a 1&1/32" or a 1&1/8" bore.Manual,no power. It's a pretty hard pedal compounded by the fact that I did not use the adapter plate to mount the MC as I just cobbled this together for a daily beater & the pedal is too high but I've gotten used to it(sort of). but if I did ANY spirited driving it would not be safe enough.

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 08:34 PM

My MC is for a pickup and it is a big bore type think I need a 1" or smaller bore for a good working system and yes I plan on some spirited driving
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 08:59 PM

Trucks used 1 1/8" bore. I like the 1 1/32" master for that application.

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 09:03 PM

I was thinking maybe a 7/8 or 15/16 bore would be more like it, no power booster

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 09:09 PM

That manual disc brake set up originally used a 1 1/32" bore master.

The 15/16" bore master also works well. 7/8" is too light for my taste.

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 09:15 PM

do you knko th orig application for th 7/8 & 15/16 bore versions I want brakes on it so I can finish th driveway tuning

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 09:24 PM

There is no stock application 7/8" master that will interchange.

'73-'75 POWER disc brake equipped A-bodies used 15/16" bore masters. Interestingly, manual brake versions used the common 1 1/32" master.

You will also need the push rod retainer. Unfortunately, parts stores don't sell them, and they rarely come with new or rebuilt master cylinders.

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/14/08 11:45 PM

Just got back from th parts store with a .980 bore aluminum master cylinder original app was a Daytona or Caravan, looked at master for a Dakota, r u ready ? 1 3/8 bore and last a K car master has a .875 bore however it was cast iron, the others are aluminum. One other note th MC I brought home does not have the gruve for th rubber retainer and I dont belive the others I looked at did either but I think I can jump this hurdle

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/15/08 01:01 AM

1&3/8" bore: man I bet that would be a rock hard,virtually no travel pedal. For a retainer I used a piece of vac hose that looked identical to an original one that I had in my stash except for the groove along the length of the orig one. I'm good so far,Doctor diff do you see any problems with using that for a substitute. .

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/15/08 03:02 AM

Yes, I also looked at the Caravan master cylinder, but it is not a direct interchange.

You can probably use a piece of hose to fabricate a retainer. I stock new ones.

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/15/08 03:06 AM

Doc does it need the adapter to lower the pedal height like the other alum ones or is there another issue?

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/15/08 03:11 AM

If I remember correctly, it needs a custom adapter. I think the brake line threads are also different, and the piston must be bored out to accept a manual brake push rod.

Re: Master cylinder help - 06/15/08 03:15 AM

thank you Doc
© 2024 Moparts Forums