Moparts

Need opinions............

Posted By: paulgrr63

Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:24 AM

First off let me say HI! I am new to these forums. I usually hang around on dodgecharger.com.I have an issue with my charger and I'm about to give up. My Charger turns off then back on every time I accelerate. Sometimes when it does it when I'm turning but runs fine when its wide open. I replaced the gas tank, pickup, fuel filter(3 times), fuel pump and carb. The first time I replaced the fuel filter it ran like a beauty for about 5 minutes then it shut down. I'm out of ideas. Need help. Thanks.
Posted By: LABBINSKI

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:30 AM

Sounds to me like a lack of fuel under acceleration. What is your fuel pressure under a load and do you have the carb set as well as the float I would check these before giving up the ghost always go back to basics when you run out of hair
Posted By: 268RTs4ME

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:52 AM

If you have any rubber fuel line hoses on your charger I would be looking at them also, maybe restricting inside, I had one that did simmilar thing and I had a crack in a dried rubber hose off of tank.
Posted By: PlumCrazyFury

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:54 AM

Hi,

Welcome to moparts. Is it shutting down like it is losing fuel like a sputter and a stop or does it just shut clean off instantly? Do you have an electric or mechanical fuel pump?
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:59 AM

I suspect your engine strap is off or the engine is not grounded all the time . then under throttle it loses ground and dies and then starts right up again when the engine settles down on the mounts completing the ground again .
It could very well be a fuel problem like some of the other guys say. dig a little deeper , bet you'll find it .
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:34 PM

Hi Paul, first off welcome to Moparts. Second, give more info on you fuel and ignition system. Lots of great people here that can figure out just about whatever problems you are having, (with the car that is).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:42 PM

it seems that he is having the same problem with his car as i am having with the 2bbl i have on my fifth avenue. thought it was the accelerator pump but mine is still fine. still stumped. checked timing, fuel pressure, vaccum... if you find anything out let me know. mine does this and if im at a red light it stalls unless i go very gently on the throttle. with mine there is no stuttering just shuts off.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 12:46 PM

yes more details esp on the carb & WHEN it does it(load no load/what rpm & what exactly "it" is(a sputter or is it a instant dying) & how long has it been doing it & what ign etc on the car & what recent changes other than those mentioned
Posted By: Pentastar440

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 01:43 PM

Check your bulkhead connector.

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 05:17 PM

Quote:

yes more details esp on the carb & WHEN it does it(load no load/what rpm & what exactly "it" is(a sputter or is it a instant dying) & how long has it been doing it & what ign etc on the car & what recent changes other than those mentioned

The car is %100 original. All engine components are the same with the exception of the water pump and AC compressor. The carb was rebuilt. It is a sputter but if I keep my foot down on the gas it will die. If I let up it picks up again.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/26/09 10:09 PM

is that a 2bbl or a 4bbl carb.

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/27/09 02:38 AM

2bbl
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Need opinions............ - 04/27/09 03:12 AM

carb was rebuilt. new acc pump too...may worth it to check if th nozzles squirt fuel from the pump
might be clogged
Just trowing ideas..

Daniel
© 2024 Moparts Forums