Moparts

LA headers on Magnum Engine

Posted By: Wedgeman

LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/25/09 11:38 PM

Sunny, beautiful day, plenty of good intentions to drop my 5.9L in my little A-body...got a set of Headman headers...but these #W$%#@$?@# thing are hitting everywhere !!

Are they supposed to fit without troubles or they all need a lot of massaging like mine ?

THey still are hitting the steering column and the the lower part of the steering box near the K member........is this normal for this set up ?

Daniel
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 01:33 AM

what is the part number on the headers?
Posted By: GoDartGo

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 01:39 AM

yes

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 02:14 AM

PART IS 78050
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 02:17 AM

a lot of instructions say you may need to dent stuff in a little bit to get a good fit.

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 02:18 AM

a couple of dents !!!!!!! loll
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 02:20 AM

Hooker headers in my '71 Demon and '73 Scamp with a 5.9 Magnum. They hit the truck motor mounts on the engine (I slightly ground off the ears) and the end of the idler arm (slight dent in right header). Didn't hit the steering column or box. My cars are manual steering.

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 02:34 AM

Is the engine slighlty to the pass side of the engine bay or pretty centered ?
The pass side is very clear....
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 02:52 AM

passender side is always the easiest..

the engines are offsetted to the passender side to make room for the steering and etc.

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 03:04 AM

Thought so too....In that case I'll do more massaging tomorrow.....or msy be the engine is sitting too low.
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 03:09 AM

Mine only hits on the passenger side...strange.

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 03:17 AM

Anyone got pics of their engine mounts set up?
Posted By: volaredon

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 03:37 AM

I have Magnum heads on an 83 318 LA block in my truck (83 D 250) and a set of hooker Super Comps madefor a 72-93 D/W series truck and a smallblock (P/N 5811) and they went right onto the Magnum heads w/o any problems.
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 01:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I have Hedman ($99.00 Summit brand ones) in a 76 Volare with a 98' 5.9 in it. When I tell you that they "fell" in, I'm telling you that they didn't even have a scratch on them when I was finished. I did put a manual steering box in it tho.. Oh yeah, I ordered the headers for a late A body...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 01:05 PM

on my 318 in my m body the headers hit on the wheel well on the pass side. i cut out a section of the inner fender and made a new panel that bubbled out towards the wheel a little bit. fits great now. i had to dent one of my tubes to get it to fit with my power steering on my fifth ave.

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 02:24 PM

I'll give it a try this afternoon,and post pics for your comments....
Mat be it is sitting too low...

Daniel
Posted By: patrick

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 05:42 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I have Hedman ($99.00 Summit brand ones) in a 76 Volare with a 98' 5.9 in it. When I tell you that they "fell" in, I'm telling you that they didn't even have a scratch on them when I was finished. I did put a manual steering box in it tho.. Oh yeah, I ordered the headers for a late A body...

I've got those same hedmans in my 5th ave, fit no problem. I did tweak one pipe slightly on the drivers side, as it was awefully close to the starter. summits I think are made by flowtech, but same design, except the hedmans have a 1/4" flange, the flowtech/hooker/dynomax/summits all have 5/16". and the new hedmans have a ball collector.

if you're hitting the steering, make sure your engine mounts are good and not sagging, or try shim underneath them to bring the motor up a skoash?

Re: LA headers on Magnum Engine - 04/26/09 09:01 PM

Engine was sitting too low, now fits ok.!

This week is injection week !!

Thanks everyone !!

Daniel
© 2024 Moparts Forums