Moparts

Drive Shaft Lenght

Posted By: Hrtbkr

Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/01/23 11:14 AM

Hi
I'll be replacing the 7 1/4 rear with an 8 3/4 in my '70 318 automatic (904) Barracuda soon.
Does anyone know what length driveshaft I'll need?
Thanks
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/01/23 01:11 PM

It’s best to measure and have your old driveshaft cut to length or have one made.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/01/23 02:37 PM

7-1/4 diff is 10.09" from pinion to axle centerline. 8-3/4 is 12.35" . Therefore you need to shorten the driveshaft by 2.26"

That is unless someone has shortened or lengthened the car, in which case you better measure it !!!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/01/23 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Car Nut
It’s best to measure and have your old driveshaft cut to length or have one made.

Yep…I would do the swap and then measure after the new rear is in place.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/02/23 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

iagree measure twice, cut once

I like Stanton's approach BUTTTTTT whistling beer
Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/02/23 01:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I have a few extra drive shafts on hand and was looking for an overall length to fit my soon to be combination.
The car's going to end up with a 440/727 (and maybe a gear vendors) so, being a cheap b*stard, I'm hoping to use something in my stash.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/02/23 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

i always measure three times, cut five times, and it's STILL too short.......... laugh2
beer

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/03/23 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by TJP

i always measure three times, cut five times, and it's STILL too short.......... laugh2
beer

That's cause you're butt cracks not showing, has to be to get an accurate measurement ask any construction guy 🤣🤣 beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/03/23 07:11 AM

I like to shove the tranny yoke in all the way and then slide it out 3/4 inch,.750, and use that for the center to center of the u joint distances wrench up that is with all the weight of the vehicle on the tires on the ground or something acting as the ground like jack stand under the rear end housing and front lower control arms
Posted By: topside

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/03/23 03:34 PM

What Cab says. Most engagement of the output shaft you can get without bottoming.
With the way tolerances stack up, especially on a build-up of an old car, driveshaft's one of the last things to do.

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/03/23 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I like to shove the tranny yoke in all the way and then slide it out 3/4 inch,.750, and use that for the center to center of the u joint distances wrench up that is with all the weight of the vehicle on the tires on the ground or something acting as the ground like jack stand under the rear end housing and front lower control arms

iagree 100% beer
Posted By: moparx

Re: Drive Shaft Lenght - 12/03/23 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

iagree 100% beer

absolutely the correct way. up
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums