Moparts

a998 SHIFT ISSUE

Posted By: Magnumguy

a998 SHIFT ISSUE - 11/19/23 08:54 PM

OK, bought this Magnum a couple years ago. Has sat virtually the whole time except for a couple very short runs.

Drove it to the license bureau for a title inspection, and noticed it shifts great, EXCEPT for when it hit 3rd. It acts like it's slipping horribly bad. Drop it back in 2, then back to 3, a couple times it would stay engaged but eventually start to slip

Fearing the worst, but once or twice it did stay engaged for a while. Sometimes dropping it back in 2nd and up will re-engage it for a time

Shifts from drive to reverse and reverse to drive quickly, 1 & 2 shifts are good. Throttle pressure rod is where I believe it should be. Could it be the shifter not engaging it all the way?

Any ideas? I'm selling this one ( not due to the trans issue ) and want to make it right before it leaves.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE - 11/19/23 09:00 PM

Front clutch pack probably fried
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE - 11/19/23 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
Front clutch pack probably fried

Or sealing rings/seals worn or both. Try a can of Trans-X as a Hail Mary.

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE - 11/19/23 10:04 PM

I put a quart of fluid in it although it didn't indicate it was low, made a "shuge" improvement in it, if I let off the gas then back on it slips but then it "catches" and all's well. Still going to try some trans X.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE - 11/20/23 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumguy
I put a quart of fluid in it although it didn't indicate it was low, made a "shuge" improvement in it, if I let off the gas then back on it slips but then it "catches" and all's well. Still going to try some trans X.

Might still be a little low ? Has the wrong dipstick and/or tube ? Though if it's been slipping bad once things get glazed over fan
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE - 11/20/23 04:22 PM

Sounds like the inevitable is coming.

R+R time this winter

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE - 11/24/23 12:42 AM

Well, the issue has changed. Now it shifts into high, but when I left off the gas, it seems to kick out of gear, but when I apply throttle, it kicks back in.

So has what I need to do possibly changed? Band adjustment maybe?

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE ( UPDATE ) - 11/27/23 11:46 AM

UPDATE:
After adding TransX, now it engages in 3rd, but when I left off the accelerator, and then back on the gas, it'll act like it's out of gear, then engages. ?

Seems like the faster I'm going, the quicker it re-engages. Thoughts?

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE ( UPDATE ) - 11/27/23 04:40 PM

This is usually caused by worn governor sealing rings, the rings are metal so no additive can cure this. The rings can be replaced without removing the trans.

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE ( UPDATE ) - 11/28/23 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

This is usually caused by worn governor sealing rings, the rings are metal so no additive can cure this. The rings can be replaced without removing the trans.

Great!!! Can those be bought separately?

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE ( UPDATE ) - 11/28/23 06:46 PM

You'll need two of these:

https://www.tsr-racing.com/chrysler...ing-ring-governor8218-metal-1962-up.html

Re: a998 SHIFT ISSUE ( UPDATE ) - 11/30/23 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums