Moparts

Ignition key lock cylinder

Posted By: hemienvy

Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/03/23 11:20 PM

Well I need a new one, this is for a 1979 LiL Red Express, it's a D150 I think.

Where to buy ? Vendors on here ?

Thanks much !
Posted By: TJP

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by hemienvy

Thanks much !

your local parts store should be able to get one, if not LINKY

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 01:55 AM

Thank you, I thought maybe they were OEM only, unobtanium. That's good news.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 04:03 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the parts my LAS can get...stuff that I, too, thought would be only OEM. Was in an O'Reillys the other day and a customer was picking up a coolant overflow tank for some obscure rice grinder. After thinking about it, stuff like that is made by an outside vendor, so why not supply the aftermarket too.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 04:59 PM

Thanks much !

Got mine from NAPA, under $30. up
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 05:53 PM

Thank you, I thought maybe they were OEM only, unobtanium. That's good news.

It will probably be a different key but if you want the same key you currently have some locksmiths can change them.

Back in the day I had a bunch of old locks and made my own kit. Its not hard and you may be able to swap the tumblers yourself depending on how the new one is made.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 07:17 PM

I'm so anti-aftermarket these days. I'd find a NOS set on Feebay or elsewhere. I see them on Feebay often.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 09:45 PM

Thanks much !

Show us a pic of one - I have a few new ones - Keys already, and I have tumblers.

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/04/23 10:55 PM

3 pics

Attached picture KL2.jpg
Attached picture KL3.jpg
Attached picture KL1.jpg
Posted By: LilRed7879

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 12:12 AM

NOS if you want

https://m.dodgeconnection.com/catalog/item/2822668/6603549.htm
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by LilRed7879

Hmm, $100 NOS vs $9 at Rockauto for Standard US99L

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 12:56 AM

The quality isn't the same
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 04:21 PM

For the price difference I'd probably try aftermarket first.

I'd trust dodgeconnection but I've seen some sellers claim that sort of thing is nos because they have oem keys with it.

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 04:27 PM

I assumed it's not a real easy task. I'd be doing the door ones at the same time and not wanting to do it again anytime soon. I think you can find a NOS set with ignition and both doors for under a hundred. I did anyway.

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
The quality isn't the same

Someone must have forgotten the kwality issues Mopar was having in that era. Seems I recall defective production line parts being packaged up and sold a spare parts as well.

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 05:24 PM

Generally speaking, NOS parts from that era are going to outlast the chinese junk in the market now. Yes, there were production failures as always but NOS stuff in general is much better. My last issue with aftermarket was a headlight switch. Almost caught my car on fire. I sprang for a NOS one and not only has it lasted years but the dimmer is so smooth versus aftermarket one that was like grinding pebbles. Before that was 11" brake drums from Raybestos that were only $25 each but absolutely unusable and I wasn't going to spend the money on shipping to return to Rockauto. I sprung for NOS and five years later all is well.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 09:52 PM

Might be wrong but, wasn't Standard an OEM supplier back in the day?

Pretty sure I've pulled OEM parts from junkers with the Standard logo on them.

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/05/23 10:45 PM

Generally speaking, NOS parts from that era are going to outlast the chinese junk in the market now. Yes, there were production failures as always but NOS stuff in general is much better. My last issue with aftermarket was a headlight switch. Almost caught my car on fire. I sprang for a NOS one and not only has it lasted years but the dimmer is so smooth versus aftermarket one that was like grinding pebbles. Before that was 11" brake drums from Raybestos that were only $25 each but absolutely unusable and I wasn't going to spend the money on shipping to return to Rockauto. I sprung for NOS and five years later all is well.

Larry, I completely agree with what you are saying but will add my twocents wink Companies in China are capable of producing very high quality items whether they be car parts, computers or anything else. 95% of the quality goes back to what specifications they must meet and what THEY are paid to do so. Our system has driven the manufacturing costs down while padding the executives packages. Little if any of those cost reductions have been passed onto the consumer and we have shuttered our factories in the process.
There is a simple acronym that explains it: CSP, which stands for Cost , Specification(s), Performance. Change any one of the 3 and it affects the other 2. The same applies to any business or product.
So IMO it has little to do with where the product is made but more to do with the specifications it was made to which in turn affects the cost and performance.
When the import tool thing started in the mid to late 70's most of the items were from japan. I have several different items from that period that still function just fine. IMO China is not much different than japan was in the 60's. Continuous improvement until they surpass their competition and they are well on their way of doing so.
So again IMO it's not where it's made but rather the cost and lower specifications they are made to that are set by whom? The corporation buying the components. Our leaders and executives made the decisions to lower the quality in a quest for the almighty $$. It used to be made in the USA stood for unquestioned quality, that slowly slipped to Japan, Japan is now slipping to China.
Why? the answer is in my rambling above wink twocents beer

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/06/23 12:24 AM

You assume it's made in China.

Comes with a 3yr/36000mi warranty. NOS? nothing. If you bother to look up the part on Standard's website they even have a video showing you how to rekey it.

I'd gamble the $9 for the Standard part.

https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?part=US-99L%20-%20Ignition%20Lock%20Cylinder&type=p

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/06/23 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

Comes with a 3yr/36000mi warranty. NOS? nothing. If you bother to look up the part on Standard's website they even have a video showing you how to rekey it.

https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?part=US-99L%20-%20Ignition%20Lock%20Cylinder&type=p

iagree And it can likely be sourced locally wink
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/06/23 07:50 PM

I went with the complete lock and cylinder. It has been a year of use with no issues. for $9 you cannot go wrong.

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/07/23 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

Larry, I completely agree with what you are saying but will add my twocents wink Companies in China are capable of producing very high quality items whether they be car parts, computers or anything else. 95% of the quality goes back to what specifications they must meet and what THEY are paid to do so. Our system has driven the manufacturing costs down while padding the executives packages. Little if any of those cost reductions have been passed onto the consumer and we have shuttered our factories in the process.
There is a simple acronym that explains it: CSP, which stands for Cost , Specification(s), Performance. Change any one of the 3 and it affects the other 2. The same applies to any business or product.
So IMO it has little to do with where the product is made but more to do with the specifications it was made to which in turn affects the cost and performance.
When the import tool thing started in the mid to late 70's most of the items were from japan. I have several different items from that period that still function just fine. IMO China is not much different than japan was in the 60's. Continuous improvement until they surpass their competition and they are well on their way of doing so.
So again IMO it's not where it's made but rather the cost and lower specifications they are made to that are set by whom? The corporation buying the components. Our leaders and executives made the decisions to lower the quality in a quest for the almighty $$. It used to be made in the USA stood for unquestioned quality, that slowly slipped to Japan, Japan is now slipping to China.
Why? the answer is in my rambling above wink twocents beer
Good information and I hope that's the case; consistent improvement. The $9 had me asking "how good could it be"? up

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/07/23 08:26 PM

I would definitely do doors at same time.

Here's my NOS Mopar set I bought as a just in case for my '79 Power Wagon. I'd like to take the tag to a dealership now and ask for spare key laugh

Attached picture IMG_2386.jpeg

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/08/23 02:29 AM

Here's my NOS Mopar set I bought as a just in case for my '79 Power Wagon. I'd like to take the tag to a dealership now and ask for spare key laugh

You undoubtedly would get a confused "DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS LOOK" LOL. beer
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/08/23 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

You undoubtedly would get a confused "DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS LOOK" LOL. beer

Depending on the dealer that might actually work. I got keys cut once at one, they would only cut blanks they sold. They asked if i had the code, of course no. So they took my key and a card they held against it to get a number then pulled out a hand held key cutter played with some dials and cut the key eek All I could think was you don't have the normal machine for this?

Re: Ignition key lock cylinder - 11/08/23 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

No I didn't "bother" to look it up. I am not in the market for one and my statements were general as far as nos and aftermarket. I didn't run statistics. Warranty practically meaningless to me. If you "bothered" to read my earlier post regarding difficult jobs not worth having to repeat. Also, I mentioned nothing about rekeying. I wish I knew everything like you (think you do). Don't ever miss a chance to jump on someone!

If you notice, TJP took an oppurtunity to educate me a bit on the subject, which I appreciated. You're just a condescending poster. You should just ignore me as I'm going to do with you now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums