Moparts

Type F instead?

Posted By: polkat

Type F instead? - 06/14/08 04:28 AM

I have read that using Type F fluid (instead of Dexron) in torqueflites will slightly improve the firmness of shifts. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks!
Posted By: BobR

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 04:39 AM

Quote:

I have read that using Type F fluid (instead of Dexron) in torqueflites will slightly improve the firmness of shifts. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks!

What year transmission? May not want to do that with a late model. For the older stuff this is a known shift improver-but don't expect miracles. -Bob

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 04:49 AM

It's an older 904. It's been running Dexron, but I just now read an article that said if you were running Dexron, you have to completely flush the tranny as adding Type F will make a jelly-like messif there is any Dexron still in the tranny. Glad I read this as the tranny is still in the car. Or, is there any truth to this?
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 05:28 AM

You should not mix the different types of fluid. The changeover is best when the tranny is fresh from the rebuilder and NO Dextron is in it.
It does firm up shifts.
The safest bet is fresh Dextron and a new filter.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 07:46 AM

The old 904/727 are really forgiving on what fluids were in them. Back in the 80's Chrysler power Magazine ran some 727 hop-up articles by (I believe) Marv Booth who would run type-F for the friction, and add a quart or two of straight 30w (non-detergent) motor oil for lubrication.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 12:05 PM

yes type F gives a slightly firmer shift but since you are up & running there's no way for you to change now without ending up mixing the 2 if mixing them would cause major problems. I remember those marv booth "the mad scientist" chrysler power articles & might still have one or 2 of them. I tried adding a qt or 2 of eng oil to the trans at that time. The trans didn't act any better but me thinking that I was helping my trans by giving it better "lubrication" made ME feel better.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 12:44 PM

I did it on my B back in 78. Pulled the drain on the converter, and pan/filter. I didn't have a problem. 727 in my van has had type F in it since rebuild. Over 100K on it.

Never heard the "jelly" thing.

Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 10:19 PM

Quote:

It's been running Dexron, but I just now read an article that said if you were running Dexron, you have to completely flush the tranny as adding Type F will make a jelly-like messif there is any Dexron still in the tranny.

Total nonsense!!! My favorite brew is a 50/50 mix of Dexron and type F.

All transmission fluid types can be mixed with no ill result in the fluid itself.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 10:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's been running Dexron, but I just now read an article that said if you were running Dexron, you have to completely flush the tranny as adding Type F will make a jelly-like messif there is any Dexron still in the tranny.

Total nonsense!!! My favorite brew is a 50/50 mix of Dexron and type F.

All transmission fluid types can be mixed with no ill result in the fluid itself.

Same here, I had a converter full of Dexron when I went Type F, no Tranny Jelly here

Re: Type F instead? - 06/14/08 10:48 PM

In the end I did exactly what John mentioned. A 50/50 mix, and the tranny runs nicely! While doing this, I adjusted the bands (both) and the flair I mentioned in an earlier post is gone. Good deal all the way around.
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Type F instead? - 06/15/08 02:37 AM

Marv Booth got that issue somewhere.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Type F instead? - 06/15/08 03:03 AM

yeah adding eng oil to a trans was so far off the norm it was scary so I just had to try it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums