Moparts

Unlocking Steering Column

Posted By: 71383beep

Unlocking Steering Column - 04/23/09 04:43 AM

A friend of mine just bought a 72 charger rallye. He is thinking about restoring it. Unfortunately it came with no keys. The steering wheel is locked straight.

Is there a way to open the column and remove the lock without the keys?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Unlocking Steering Column - 04/23/09 05:48 AM

Abbreviated version....Remove steering wheel, remove lock plate, remove T/S switch, remove upper housing, remove lock cylinder take to locksmith & have rekeyed...

BTW if your lucky & the door locks match the ignition youn can pull a door lock & take it to the locksmith & have a key cut to fit the door lock...
Posted By: KMPX2

Re: Unlocking Steering Column - 04/23/09 11:41 AM

If I remember right you have to have a key in the lock cylinder to remove it any key will do.

Re: Unlocking Steering Column - 04/23/09 12:41 PM

Ok then.

I'll bring the keys for my bee and the shop manual with my wheel puller.

Is it possible to put the column back together with out the lock? That way we can turn the wheels to work on her.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Unlocking Steering Column - 04/23/09 01:14 PM

If you have to turn the wheel RIGHT NOW, you could try a little trick we used when doing police towing etc, you push down and towards direction you want to turn it, at the same time with your left hand at about the 7 oclock position of wheel. Then with your right fist, pound away from you on the top of steering wheel repeatedly and it should bump around for you. Did this all the time, and fords were the most cooperative. I know it's hack, but it may work.

Re: Unlocking Steering Column - 04/23/09 02:10 PM

No we don't have to turn it right now. I'll loan him a set of my dollys actually...or he may buy some this weekend at Jefferson.

It's not a huge deal really i guess. He's going to get started pulling all of the soft parts out of it this weekend so he'll be moving it back and forth into the garage.
© 2024 Moparts Forums