Moparts

EFI

Posted By: b body idiot

EFI - 08/16/23 06:58 PM

Thinking of putting a EFI on a 69 Superbee 440 4spd . Wondering whats out there that is compatiable. Really just wondering what kind of recommendations from people who are running a EFI. Thanks
Posted By: AndyF

Re: EFI - 08/16/23 07:05 PM

The best entry level EFI setup is the Holley Sniper. It isn't really a bolt on kit since you have to upgrade the fuel system, change some wiring and modify the ignition system. A complete Sniper install is more than most "backyard" guys can handle but it doesn't really need professional install, it just needs someone who has plenty of tools and plenty of knowledge.

I have a bunch of Sniper videos on my youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSY4bQ7I23XK834NLVTC9w
Posted By: Sniper

Re: EFI - 08/16/23 07:50 PM

Then there are those of us that prefer the most in the weeds approach Microsquirt/Megasuirt.
Posted By: CSK

Re: EFI - 08/16/23 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Then there are those of us that prefer the most in the weeds approach Microsquirt/Megasuirt.

OR even worser ,,, an 8 Stack EFI on a street car LOL

Attached picture 17777.jpg
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: EFI - 08/16/23 09:33 PM

Or you can go the 6 pac route....F&B throttle bodies set up and FAST ECU.

Running that combo on my 440 for eight years now, with only a leaky AN fitting.

Attached picture 100_3251.jpg

Re: EFI - 08/16/23 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by CSK
Originally Posted by Sniper

OR even worser ,,, an 8 Stack EFI on a street car LOL

Dual throttle bodies on a flathead six for me. I guess I could go three throttle bodies, it only has three intake ports, lol.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: EFI - 08/17/23 04:04 PM

I used Holley Terminator X Stealth 4150 with the in tank module.
I used my existing ignition but upgraded the FBO module and coil. Also with Holley in tank pump module no return line needed or regulator. Easy peasy!
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: EFI - 08/18/23 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by b body idiot
Thinking of putting a EFI on a 69 Superbee 440 4spd . Wondering whats out there that is compatiable. Really just wondering what kind of recommendations from people who are running a EFI. Thanks

I'm using a base model Sniper on a 512. The fuel system was the biggest issue. If an EFI ready tank is available for your car them that is what I would do. Saves lots of hassle with fabrication.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: EFI - 08/18/23 05:25 PM

or use a surge tank setup instead.
I would probably have prefered intank, but they don't make one and cutting up a new tank didn't seem like a good idea at the time.

Re: EFI - 08/18/23 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh
or use a surge tank setup instead.
I would probably have prefered intank, but they don't make one and cutting up a new tank didn't seem like a good idea at the time.

That's the route I am going with my 51, no EFI tank and I don't see a need to cut up my original or buy a reproduction one, that may or may not fit properly.

Here's the idea I am going with

http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com/2005/12/surge-overkill.html
Posted By: Moparite

Re: EFI - 08/19/23 02:16 PM

Plus it is port injection instead of throttle body. If i was going to efi that's what i would choose.

Re: EFI - 08/19/23 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite

Plus it is port injection instead of throttle body. If i was going to efi that's what i would choose.

Why?

Engine masters did a dyno test and the TBI actually made a hair more power due to the cooing effect brought on by the latent heat of evaporation, same reason a carb seems to make more HP than MPI.

Unless you can tune each injector to the specific cylinder's need to balance out the AFR then it is a waste of time, money and effort.

An article to consider

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/dyno-comparison-of-holley-tbi-and-mpi-systems-on-800-hp-big-block/
Posted By: Moparite

Re: EFI - 08/20/23 03:31 PM

I believe i saw that one, And they did mention the intake used makes a difference. Since there is no kegger style intakes you are stuck using aftermarket intakes made for carburetors. The mod man intake is about the closest to a kegger style and would like to see how it would perform with mpi.

Re: EFI - 08/20/23 04:28 PM

Why would you want to use a "kegger style intake".

A 440 doesn't need help making torque,

Re: EFI - 08/20/23 07:11 PM

I ran port injection on my Duster. Really no difference in power for the average street engine between port injection and throttle body. The EFI setup on my Duster cost about $10,000 while the Sniper setup on my Coronet is around $2500. The Coronet engine actually made a little better power than the Duster engine. The port injection systems are probably higher quality and more reliable than the Sniper setup but there is a lot of cost associated with going to port injection.

Attached picture DSC_4016 (Large).JPG

Re: EFI - 08/20/23 07:13 PM

Had a customer come in recently who wanted to put an 8 stack setup on a Ford FE engine. Told him that it would cost about $10,000, it would be unreliable, and that he would eventually grow to hate it, but if that is what he wanted we could do it.
Posted By: CSK

Re: EFI - 08/20/23 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Had a customer come in recently who wanted to put an 8 stack setup on a Ford FE engine. Told him that it would cost about $10,000, it would be unreliable, and that he would eventually grow to hate it, but if that is what he wanted we could do it.

I love my 8 stack setup. drive it everywhere, runs & drives like a stock 440 , BUT if you dont know how to work on them, [ have to pay someone to dial it in] you are 100% correct, it took a lot of trial and error to get it good, just got back from a 25 mile drive, AC blowin cold & 110deg outside. LOVE IT smile , the BEST thing I did to make it work better is a NON Contact TPS, WORLD of difference .
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: EFI - 08/21/23 03:04 AM

Does he want it to be mechanical stack injection or EFI stack injector system? work
I've seen more than one BB and street hemi Mopar in SO CA that had EFI stack injection that the owners said they love them, and they were way better than before with carburetors : :workshruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums