Moparts

power window motor, 2018 challenger????

Posted By: dart67

power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/08/23 10:16 PM

I want to check the power window motor to make sure it works. It has 5 pins. One black wire, 4 orange wires with different stripes. I used a powermax jump box. Checked its output. 12.6 volts. I touched the negative off box to black pin, the positive off box to each of the 4 remaining pins. Nothing. This motor was good when taken off. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help, Kevin
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/09/23 12:14 AM

I would expect these to have a few power inputs. The windows open slightly when the door handle is pulled and raise up fully when the doors are closed, plus their normal up and down function from the switch itself.

Is there a factory service manual for the car to access the wiring diagram?

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/09/23 12:30 AM

I'll check online.
Posted By: dvw

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/09/23 01:04 PM

You cant check them. The signal that runs the motor is sent thru CAN bus. We even tried to cheat them at FCA so we could put the windows up on partial builds that didn't have full wiring, nope.
Doug

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/09/23 01:22 PM

Are you saying I cant run 12 volts to a set of pins in window motor to make it work?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/09/23 04:01 PM

Sure what it sounds like.Isn't progress wonderful. grin

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/09/23 10:19 PM

Yeah,it's just great.....

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/09/23 10:22 PM

I believe a man has got to have a degree in aerospace technology to work on this thing......
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/10/23 02:22 AM

What exactly is the issue/problem with the power window?

That might help people help you to solve the problem.....
Posted By: moparx

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/10/23 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
You cant check them. The signal that runs the motor is sent thru CAN bus. We even tried to cheat them at FCA so we could put the windows up on partial builds that didn't have full wiring, nope.
Doug

i understand what you say, but a dc motor is/should be just a power and ground to work [eventually].
are these motors way different than what they were years ago ?
if you go directly to the motor, bypassing all the switches and wiring from the BCM CAN bus, can't it be jumped to work ?
what am i missing here ?
beer
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/10/23 09:45 PM

i had this problem with S197 mustangs when working on them without a battery installed.
i had to connect the ground wire to the ground. the thick positive wire to the positive on jump box. and the thin wire that signals the window to roll down slightly when opening the door to positive also. the windows will roll down this way.
their are signal wires for both the L & R side doors. their are also signal wires to roll the window back up also. their is also a wire for memory on express up and down you don't have to worry about.
i would ASSuME the wiring is the same on a challenger.
Posted By: dvw

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/11/23 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

i understand what you say, but a dc motor is/should be just a power and ground to work [eventually].
are these motors way different than what they were years ago ?
if you go directly to the motor, bypassing all the switches and wiring from the BCM CAN bus, can't it be jumped to work ?
what am i missing here ?
beer

You could take the motor apart to test the motor itself. It really wont tell you anything. As I stated there is a module in the motor that is controlled by CAN bus. Without the Can signal from the BCM (body controll module) it will not function. To make it worse the early and later Challenger's aren't the same. The drag cars get a cheater module that replicates the BCM commands. Also note that a Challenger window is commanded slightly down when the door handle/latch module (DDM) sends a signal to the BCM. It also commands the window slightly up when the door is shut. I worked in the Electrical garage at FCA Engineering debugging prototype build electrical issues. Didn't design them. Just had the joy of making them function.
Doug
Posted By: VL21

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/16/23 09:45 PM

Ain't progress wonderful?
Posted By: moparx

Re: power window motor, 2018 challenger???? - 04/16/23 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by VL21

Ain't progress wonderful?

HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! panic haha laugh2
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums