Moparts

Yeah, It's Me Again

Posted By: Kudakidd

Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 01:34 AM

Still going through the teething pains. The stock 440 in my car still hesitates,back fires and stumbles under hard acceleration. Other than that annoying and aggravating trait, it starts right up, idles forever and runs smoothly under partial acceleration. It is a four gear car, btw. What I've done so far: Replaced the fuel pump, adjusted the BRAND NEW Holley's float bowl levels, tuned up the idle mixture screws, replaced the coil, replaced the condenser, spark plugs and ballast resistor. HELP ME. I have rusty razor blades near my wrists.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 02:12 AM

have you checked the distributor and vacuum advance?
Posted By: A12

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 02:17 AM

Your distributor may be worn or maybe even worn out?? I agree with Stumpy,

Mike
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 04:00 AM

During hard acceleration/loads: the Secondary (HV) portion of the ignition system sees the most 'stress'.
Concentrate there first.
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 08:46 AM

Carb details, size etc... What is your timing at, full advance and idle? Where is your vacuum advance hooked up...

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 01:33 PM

By HV do you mean High Voltage? Plugs and wires are brand new. Th carb is a 700 cfm double pumper, w/ #72 jets in the primaries and #80 in the secondaries.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 02:35 PM

Incorrect point gap/dwell
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 02:50 PM

A cam with lobes going flat will pop through the carb under accel.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
A cam with lobes going flat will pop through the carb under accel.

I had a girl friends car years ago act just like that and thought it was the carb and I took it by a friends shop and he laughed and said it ain't the carb the cams flat.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 06:47 PM

what kind of distributor?
what cams do you have on the accelerator pump on the holley?
had one that had some weird vacuum leak in the vacuum advance pot and would cause the car to pop and sputter under hard acceleration. unplugged the advance and it fixed it.
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 06:51 PM

Burnt valve? I'd do a compression test and see what the cylinder pressures are like. Accelerator pumps? Checking this with the engine not running, is easy to do. An AFR gauge would be helpful in this situation as well.

Dang, Andrew treed me on the accelerator pumps....

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh
had one that had some weird vacuum leak in the vacuum advance pot and would cause the car to pop and sputter under hard acceleration. unplugged the advance and it fixed it.

The pink cams. And what the hell is this talk about burned valves and flat cam lobes. You guys are overthinking this. It's a baffling problem, but I'm sure it's a simple fix. I'm surprised no one suggested rebuilding the engine!
Posted By: A12

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kudakidd

The pink cams. And what the hell is this talk about burned valves and flat cam lobes. You guys are overthinking this. It's a baffling problem, but I'm sure it's a simple fix. I'm surprised no one suggested rebuilding the engine!

Have you rebuilt the engine since your first post on this? wink grin I still think it's a worn distributor if it is original to the car. (DAMHIK and why I think this)
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/01/23 10:09 PM

Well if it was that simple you should of had it fixed by now. You have been trying to fix it for months. Time to get it in the hands of someone smart enough to diagnose and fix it.

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN

Well if it was that simple you should of had it fixed by now. You have been trying to fix it for months. Time to get it in the hands of someone smart enough to diagnose and fix it.

Ouch! Well that ain't gonna help.

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 01:07 AM

you still didn't say what distributor you are using.
also apparently there is a higher cam than pink now according to holley's site.

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 12:46 PM

you still didn't say what distributor you are using.
also apparently there is a higher cam than pink now according to holley's site.

The distributor is a stock 1970 model w/ points and condenser.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 01:23 PM

Still going through the teething pains. The stock 440 in my car still hesitates,back fires and stumbles under hard acceleration. Other than that annoying and aggravating trait, it starts right up, idles forever and runs smoothly under partial acceleration. It is a four gear car, btw. What I've done so far: Replaced the fuel pump, adjusted the BRAND NEW Holley's float bowl levels, tuned up the idle mixture screws, replaced the coil, replaced the condenser, spark plugs and ballast resistor. HELP ME. I have rusty razor blades near my wrists.
Does it stumble then clean up at WOT? What's the initial timing? How much advance? Have you inspected the rocker arms for excessive play? Did any of the plugs look much worse than the others? Distributor cap cracked? Bad plug wire/wires?
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 01:37 PM

Burn't or mis adjusted points (or something with them) would be my guess.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 03:49 PM

sticking advance weights ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: IROC78

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 06:23 PM

I'm in the camp of looking at the points. I had the identical symptoms to what you describe with my 440. It would idle and run under partial throttle just fine, and run terribly whenever you got on it. Turns out the points were worn so badly that I am amazed the car ran at all. Replaced the points and it runs great and performs like it should.
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 06:57 PM

Question #1 Where is the Engine back firing? Carb or Exhaust? #2 What kind of distributor, points or electronic? #3 Where is your base timing set at idle? #4 which carb do you have?

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/02/23 11:46 PM

so additional questions.
does it do it in park?
if not does it matter from what rpm you start to get on it from?
and the questions above are important.
have you inspected the distributor points?
is it backfiring from the carb or exhaust?

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/03/23 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wicked49670dart
Question #1 Where is the Engine back firing? Carb or Exhaust? #2 What kind of distributor, points or electronic? #3 Where is your base timing set at idle? #4 which carb do you have?

1 exhaust
2 points
3 factory setting
4 Holley 700 double pumper

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/03/23 12:16 AM

so additional questions.
does it do it in park?
if not does it matter from what rpm you start to get on it from?
and the questions above are important.
have you inspected the distributor points?
is it backfiring from the carb or exhaust?

Not in neutral (it's a four speed)
points are new
backfiring from the exhaust
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/03/23 02:52 AM

Did you or can you verify the TDC on the balancer and the timing cover to make sure what actual ignition timing you have now?
If not get some help to do that and then let us know what you found.
Also verify the firing order on the spark plugs wires and distributor cap are correct, 1843
6572 scope up twocents
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/03/23 12:56 PM

Back firing in the exhaust most of the time is a fuel/carb problem. Can you post a picture of a couple of the spark plugs? Few things to check, fuel pressure should be 5 to 7 psi, what is your base timing set to? Is this a new carb? Verify float levels at the bottom of sight on the bowls. do you have a different carb to try out? I would try to put 2 to 4 degree's more advance to see if any thing changes. Check engine vacuum at idle and 2000 rpm and note readings. Check timing at 2000 rpm and note reading.

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/03/23 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Did you or can you verify the TDC on the balancer and the timing cover to make sure what actual ignition timing you have now?
Also verify the firing order on the spark plugs wires and distributor cap are correct, 1843

Cab. First off. Thanks. The ign timing is 2* ATDC. I'm changing wires this week. I like the distributor cap idea. What are they thru RockAuto, $10.? lol

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/03/23 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked49670dart
Back firing in the exhaust most of the time is a fuel/carb problem. Can you post a picture of a couple of the spark plugs? Few things to check, fuel pressure should be 5 to 7 psi, what is your base timing set to? Is this a new carb? Verify float levels at the bottom of sight on the bowls. do you have a different carb to try out? I would try to put 2 to 4 degree's more advance to see if any thing changes. Check engine vacuum at idle and 2000 rpm and note readings. Check timing at 2000 rpm and note reading.

I'll take pics this week. . Replaced the mechanical fuel pump! Engine vacuum is a steady 21 in. of merc. lol. Have not checked timing at 2 rpm. Thank you for some great feedback!
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/03/23 10:16 PM

Cab. First off. Thanks. The ign timing is 2* ATDC. I'm changing wires this week. I like the distributor cap idea. What are they thru RockAuto, $10.? lol

Have you tries advancing the timing. I would be at least 5 to 10 BTDC.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/04/23 04:03 AM

ATDC [censored] shruggy

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/04/23 07:14 AM

Your issue is the retarded ignition timing tsk
Set the initial to between 10 to 16 degree before top dead center and then rev the motor up with a good dial back timing light hooked up and working to find out where the max ignition timing is at, if it is less than 36 degrees BTDC go drive it, if it is more retard it until it is between 32 to 36 max BTDC wrench up scope
Beware, your going to wake up the Tiger so be careful on the first couple of WOT blast devil scope
Please let us know what you do and the results luck

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/04/23 07:16 AM

Don't buy the cheapest ignition parts you can find tsk shruggy, you will get what you for and they may not last very long
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/04/23 01:28 PM

2 AFTER ?? That I believe is the wrong direction, should be more like 5 before. Without knowing how much mechanical advance your distributor currently has ( factory is seriously 30 to 33 degrees) what you want to do is bring the RPM up to 3000 and set your timing at 34-36 before TDC and see how it responds ... make note of any pinging. Once you have it up at that RPM bring it up to 5000 and make sure it's not advancing more.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Yeah, It's Me Again - 04/04/23 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

2 AFTER ?? That I believe is the wrong direction, should be more like 5 before. Without knowing how much mechanical advance your distributor currently has ( factory is seriously 30 to 33 degrees) what you want to do is bring the RPM up to 3000 and set your timing at 34-36 before TDC and see how it responds ... make note of any pinging. Once you have it up at that RPM bring it up to 5000 and make sure it's not advancing more.

x2. With everything stock it probably won't be able to take much more than 36* above 3000 rpm, especially with a 4 speed. Total is more of a concern right now than initial with the backfiring through the exhaust and sluggish performance.
© 2024 Moparts Forums