Moparts

PerTronix wiring

Posted By: 71pettyblue

PerTronix wiring - 12/20/22 08:40 PM

The owner of a 1967 RT that I have been working on, asked me to install a PerTronix conversion kit in the stock distributor. The instructions call for bypassing the ballast resistor. I'm sure some members have done this before. What is the best way to wire the red wire to 12 volts?

Several years ago I had suggested to using a MOPAR electronic ignition setup, but he wanted to keep his car/engine stock.
Thanks,
Tony
Posted By: burdar

Re: PerTronix wiring - 12/20/22 08:53 PM

Are you changing to a PerTronix coil? The coil has to be designed to run on 12v. If the owner wants the engine compartment to look stock...a lot of people gut the back of the stock ballast and put a jumper wire back there. It looks stock but a full 12v goes to the coil. Since the coil is getting 12v, you can use that as your power feed.
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: PerTronix wiring - 12/20/22 10:10 PM

I agree done a few of them,worked great thats the way i done it.

Re: PerTronix wiring - 12/20/22 11:13 PM

Using a MSD Blaster II

Re: PerTronix wiring - 12/21/22 02:28 AM

I modified a new ballast and replaced the resistor with a solid 14g wire. I sealed the wire and tested the continuity.
Thanks guys, that was an easy modification.
Tony
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: PerTronix wiring - 12/21/22 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 71pettyblue
I modified a new ballast and replaced the resistor with a solid 14g wire. I sealed the wire and tested the continuity.
Thanks guys, that was an easy modification.
Tony

Also what I did on my RR Dang she runs a lot better.....which shows I suck at setting points.... lol
© 2024 Moparts Forums