Moparts

rear brake drums

Posted By: 340ShakerR/T

rear brake drums - 04/16/09 07:45 PM

Here is my situation. I am restoring a '71 Challenger that has 4 wheel drum brakes. I has been modified with a Road Runner rearend with 11" finned brake drums. The original front drums are smooth. I would like to have the brake drums look original. Do they make an 11" brake drum that is not finned? I have ordered a set locally and they ended up being finned also. Would I be able to find these in a bone yard? If so what year & model should I look for?

Thanks.
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: rear brake drums - 04/16/09 07:57 PM

Ernie,

They do make unfinned 11" brake drums.
NAPA part # 640-1156.

Are you sittin down.

Figure about $150.00 EACH

NOt an easy itwem to find in the JY either. Most brake drums you find in the JY are pretty much trashed. But, you could get lucky.

Sorry for the bad news. Maybe someone here can get you a better deal. I know I had a difficult time finding them myself.

Good Luck,
Frank
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: rear brake drums - 04/16/09 08:00 PM

Finned is the better drum as it will carry the heat away. Bring a drum mike with you to the yard if you have to go there. No use buying a drum if it is already worn out.
Posted By: 340ShakerR/T

Re: rear brake drums - 04/16/09 08:48 PM

Great advise, thank you.
Posted By: cudastruction

Re: rear brake drums - 04/17/09 03:37 AM

I have an original 8 3/4" rear end in my 71 cuda with 11" drums and they are finned (still have the factory red paint). Why do you want ones without the fins? I assume the Chally and Cuda drums would be the same...
© 2024 Moparts Forums