Moparts

Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargain?

Posted By: magnumcharger

Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargain? - 04/16/09 01:41 PM

I've been looking at the Mopar performance Hemi engines, and after seeing a real nice Ray Barton Hemi in my brother-in-laws' Coronet, I'm wondering which is the better value for the money?
Or for that matter....what is the best buy on a 426-528 sized Hemi?
Posted By: moper

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 04:05 PM

If you have to ask...

I've heard Tim Banning (For Hemis Only) is the builder Du Jour. I wouldn't be afraid of a few others that are members here: Bob George, DRAM, etc. A good builder can make any engine work well. Truthfully, as far as hemis go, either you want and can afford to get one, or you can't. I can't...
Posted By: mickm

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 04:17 PM

there are a number of really good people out there. i would recommend tim banning at fho 110%. his customer service and knowledge are the best, and so are his engines. he'll take the time to talk with you and find out exactly what you want.
Posted By: JSR1485

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 04:22 PM

Guess who builds the Mopar Performance Hemi??
RBRE
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 05:57 PM

Quote:

Guess who builds the Mopar Performance Hemi??
RBRE

only builds the 528
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 08:34 PM

Tim Banning @FHO.. Nice guy with excellent pricing.

He's in Bewdley Ontario so that should save you some money also.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 08:43 PM

Quote:

Tim will talk/email you right away. He'll explain everything pretty clearly and won't try to sell you what you don't need. I had an excellent experience with him just recently. Can't say enough good things about him.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 09:11 PM

My brother-in law's Hemi was incredibly expensive. But in reality, it's way too much engine for the street.
I'm looking for something lesser...but still powerful.
What about John Aruzza?
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 09:20 PM

I haven't run my engine yet but I have nothing but good to say about John Arruzza. His shop is spotless and he really knows his stuff. There's a magazine article coming out about his 66 Plymouth with the A148 motor. He was building it about the same time as he was working on mine.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 09:28 PM

Hemi and Bargain should not be used in the same sentence....
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 10:37 PM

KOFFELS is a name to trust. Get it dyno. Be happy in the long run. Been there done that.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/16/09 11:22 PM

Go with Tim. He's in your neck of the woods, and he'll stand behind his work. That can't be said for the others... one in particular.

You're gonna easily spend $20K ++. The term "bargain Hemi" is an oxymoron.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/18/09 12:47 PM

OK...why would you say 20K for a Hemi?
I see them in magazine ads for $13-14K all the time.
Are these somehow inferior? And if so, why?
Are iron heads lesser than aluminum?
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/18/09 05:39 PM

Quote:

I don't have a hemi, haven't built one, and haven't priced one out. BUT it takes more than what you pull out of the crate to drop a hemi in your car. That may or may not add up to the difference we're talking about here.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/18/09 06:19 PM

Quote:

The price difference lies with the attention to assembly, machining, parts quality and HP target.

If you just want a 4 bbl. Hemi to cruise to the drive in and impress your friends then by all means get a cheap crate version. If you want a quality built piece that makes great power and stays together when you beat on it, then look into Koffels, FHO, Best Machine, CRE. If you choose this route, don't be surprised by a $20K++ price tag. Remember the old adage, "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/18/09 07:58 PM

Quote:

If you just want a 4 bbl. Hemi to cruise to the drive in and impress your friends then by all means get a cheap crate version. If you want a quality built piece that makes great power and stays together when you beat on it, then look into Koffels, FHO, Best Machine, CRE. If you choose this route, don't be surprised by a $20K++ price tag. Remember the old adage, "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

i couldn't agree more. my neighbor who races mopars calls the hemi the 3X motor: everything costs 3 times as much just because it's a hemi. a lot of that is justified. tooling costs are tooling costs, and they only get justified with quantity sold, so lower quantity means higher price. a lot of it is people gouging because it's a hemi.

but the hemi is a race engine, it wasn't designed to be a street engine, and there is more to putting one together correctly than a small block chevy.

like the last post said, if you want a good, strong engine that is well built and is going to last, then go with one of the reputable builders and expect $20k by the time it is in the car and running.

here is one for sale, as long as it is still there:

http://www.hemihaines.com/Hemi-Engines-For-Sale---Parts-For-Sale-6-148.html
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/19/09 02:18 PM

Quote:

http://www.hemihaines.com/Hemi-Engines-For-Sale---Parts-For-Sale-6-148.html

That's a nice stocker, but it states high volume oil pump and no mention of a bigger pan...On a hemi, that spells trouble.
Posted By: maundmotorworks

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargain? - 04/19/09 02:40 PM

magnum, you have a PM.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargain? - 04/19/09 03:44 PM

Call Tim at FHO and go from there.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/19/09 05:04 PM

64 Post sums it up pretty good. What do you want out of this motor. Aluminum block and heads, then you are in the small block iron motor weight. A lot less weight on the front end. Cast iron hemi is heavy. Aluminum if hurt can be fixed easier. Most of the Big Builders use the Aluminum Head and Blocks. The new MP iron stuff is a lot better than the old stuff. FHO-Tim Banning,John Arruzza and plenty of other are good builders and generally a good bang for the buck. Some are backed up with orders and it might take a while to get your build back. You live in Canada on the east coast. Banning is 35 minute east of Toronto North on Hwy 28 out of Port Hope in Bewdley Ontario. Call Banning at 905-797-2459 or visit his web site at www.forhemisonly.com
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/19/09 05:23 PM

You have to be not to cal Tim at FHO.
He will explain the differences between a crate and what you get with a custom build. #1 is a motor that works.
He's building my motor right now. If you think a crate is just a drop in deal, good luck.
Call him. It's a call that cost's you nothing........Yet
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/20/09 08:55 PM

I built a 472 Hemi.

While I wouldn't trade the knowledge I gained when I built it, and put it into an A-body, a milder wedge would have allowed me a nicer, more driveable car.

Build a big wedge.

BTW. Even doing it myself, I've got over 20G into it.

I stopped counting long ago.
Posted By: Danan

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/20/09 09:54 PM

I agree with the post above...
Who builds the 'biggest bargain'? YOU do. Hemifish 69: Thanks! I don't feel so bad knowing that someone else has over $20k in a homebuilt engine. And like others have stated, it costs even MORE money to install it in a car. Especially a clone.

That said, the hemi is a MAGNIFICENT testament to the ingenuity of mankind that cannot be fully appreciated unless you build it yourself and see how clever the Chrysler engineers were back then. It is very cool to see the final product of a team focused on building a RACE engine rather than just hotrodding a pass-car engine.
Posted By: Mad_Scientist

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/20/09 10:40 PM

Quote:

I agree with the post above...
Who builds the 'biggest bargain'? YOU do. Hemifish 69: Thanks! I don't feel so bad knowing that someone else has over $20k in a homebuilt engine. And like others have stated, it costs even MORE money to install it in a car. Especially a clone.

That said, the hemi is a MAGNIFICENT testament to the ingenuity of mankind that cannot be fully appreciated unless you build it yourself and see how clever the Chrysler engineers were back then. It is very cool to see the final product of a team focused on building a RACE engine rather than just hotrodding a pass-car engine.

I am gathering parts for my Hemi as well. Other than the K Member, what else would you need to put it into a non factory Hemi car?

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/21/09 12:02 AM

Quote:

I am gathering parts for my Hemi as well. Other than the K Member, what else would you need to put it into a non factory Hemi car?

that depends on how correct you want it to be, or if you are building a car that you aren't concerned about it appearing stock.

after the k member and mounts, it will be sitting in the engine compartment just fine. these are the things i can think of offhand...

- positive battery cable is different
- throttle linkage and cable
- there are pulley and bracket differences
- harmonic balancer
- air cleaner
- 18 spline if it's a 4 speed

i know there are more things, but it escapes me at the moment.

once again, just depends on what you will be building. big block positive battery cable works just fine, depends if you want the hemi one or not, things like that.
Posted By: Paul_B

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/21/09 01:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

that depends on how correct you want it to be, or if you are building a car that you aren't concerned about it appearing stock.

after the k member and mounts, it will be sitting in the engine compartment just fine. these are the things i can think of offhand...

- positive battery cable is different
- throttle linkage and cable
- there are pulley and bracket differences
- harmonic balancer
- air cleaner
- 18 spline if it's a 4 speed

i know there are more things, but it escapes me at the moment.

once again, just depends on what you will be building. big block positive battery cable works just fine, depends if you want the hemi one or not, things like that.

When I did my BB to Hemi swap I used Schumacher conversion mounts, bigblock pulleys and balancer. Don't forget about the 8 bolt flex plate/flywheel bolt pattern on the hemi.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/27/09 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Tim will talk/email you right away. He'll explain everything pretty clearly and won't try to sell you what you don't need. I had an excellent experience with him just recently. Can't say enough good things about him.

OK...I stopped in to see Tim and got the complete tour!! He took the time to explain to me every nuance of the Hemis he builds and I was quite impressed. I'll be starting a thread about the visit within the next day or so.

Attached picture 5190216-DSC06638.JPG

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/27/09 03:31 AM

Tim wouldn't let you take a picture of the new machine in the back shop. That picture is of a smaller part of the old shop at the front. Just wondered if you saw how high the Lake was behind his house.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/27/09 09:42 PM

What? The CNC machine, yup I got a picture of that.

http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118/magnumcharger/For%20Hemis%20Only/

And the lake?
Judge for yourself!

Attached picture 5191534-DSC06668.jpg

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/28/09 11:42 AM

Did Tim change your mind on a crate?

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/28/09 01:42 PM

Oh yes...
It's the difference between going to McDonalds for lunch, and going to the Keg.
Both food, but one is made by a chef, and the other is made by your neighbours' kid.

Or in other words, a hand-built custom engine verses an assembly line effort.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/28/09 07:19 PM

The shop is really impressive. Not many shops are that organized and that clean. The 1965 Block (complete hemi) I believe belongs to a guy on Moparts,can not remember who it is. Tim's spot is right in the middle of one of the good fishing lakes in Ontario, Rice Lake. I wonder if Tim would build a Hemi Boat for the lake, like his old Cuda had. 500 Cubes and 14/71 blower.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/28/09 07:50 PM

Quote:

Oh yes...
It's the difference between going to McDonalds for lunch, and going to the Keg.
Both food, but one is made by a chef, and the other is made by your neighbours' kid.

Or in other words, a hand-built custom engine verses an assembly line effort.

That's what we tried to tell ya. Now you can at least see how and where your money gets spent. Quality doesn't cost... it pays.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/29/09 12:43 AM

Being a customer of FHO, Tim's prices are inline with the crate motors. It's the upgrades that get you.

Re: Buying a Hemi...who builds the best bargin? - 04/29/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

Being a customer of FHO, Tim's prices are inline with the crate motors. It's the upgrades that get you.

yes, but try buying a crate motor, and doing the same upgrades and see what you end up with...
© 2024 Moparts Forums