Moparts

Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger?

Posted By: RSI700VIPER

Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/19/22 09:06 PM

Looking to replace my originals with the best aftermarket available. I'm 95% sure the ones on the car are original but they have chrome buttons. I was under the impression '69s had black buttons.
Thanks.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/19/22 09:24 PM

If they are for sure OEM

IMO have them rechromed
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/19/22 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
If they are for sure OEM

IMO have them rechromed

This is exactly what I did for my road runner.
Posted By: A12

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/20/22 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by RSI700VIPER
Looking to replace my originals with the best aftermarket available. I'm 95% sure the ones on the car are original but they have chrome buttons. I was under the impression '69s had black buttons.
Thanks.

Depends on the actual production date of the '69 B-body. I think the changeover to chrome door buttons was after January of '69 maybe even into February '69?
Posted By: TJP

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/20/22 12:51 AM

i also would re chrome if at all possible. Some of the repop's can crack the paint as the lower corners are off DAMHIK frown
I believe Trim Parts is the only repop I would try
Posted By: A12

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/20/22 01:44 AM

My '69 GTX with a December 16, 1968 Scheduled Production Date (SPD) is the Y2 yellow first photo with black original door buttons.

The second '69 GTX has a SPD of A 14 / October 14, 1968 also with black door buttons.

The third '69 GTX has a SPD of 128/January 28, 1969 and it has chrome door buttons.

The 4th is a '69 Hemi Super Bee with a SPD of 102 / January 02, 1969 and still with black door buttons. And this Hemi Bee was used only as a drag car almost its entire life and at the time I took this photo it has less than 9,000 miles on the odometer so I'm guessing the door buttons were still original.

Mid to late January '69 SPD, IMO should be chrome door buttons. But(ton) it's no big deal unless................. laugh2

Attached picture DSC06468 (2).JPG
Attached picture DSC00382.jpg
Attached picture DSC08882rs.jpg
Attached picture DSC00034.JPG

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/20/22 01:50 AM

My Charger was built in April so chrome it is. I would prefer not to wait weeks/months to have my handles re-chromed to say nothing of the expense which I would guess is triple. So short of that, is Trim Parts the winner?

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/20/22 03:21 PM

My Charger was built in April so chrome it is. I would prefer not to wait weeks/months to have my handles re-chromed to say nothing of the expense which I would guess is triple. So short of that, is Trim Parts the winner?

I have had excellent fit with all their products but I would strongly encourage using painters tape on the doors and do a trail fit with no gasket to make sure the handle and door have the same curvature. Hand tighten the bolts and check.
It can be an expensive error, especially on a candy paint job eek shock spank pity:(

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/21/22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by TJP

I have had excellent fit with all their products but I would strongly encourage using painters tape on the doors and do a trail fit with no gasket to make sure the handle and door have the same curvature. Hand tighten the bolts and check.
It can be an expensive error, especially on a candy paint job eek shock spank pity:(

Good advice.

Re: Who Sells the Best Outside Door Handles for a 1969 Charger? - 09/21/22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

Good advice.

Also, keep in mind, that it may not be the door handle, it could be the door itself ( repro), or body work that was done to it before painting. If there is a problem having an original will determine which is at fault wink In the recent case mentioned above, it was the handle realmad shout shock
© 2024 Moparts Forums