Moparts

wheel spacers?

Posted By: lewtot184

wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 03:54 PM

i'm thinking about doing some wheel changing on my 65 coronet. i have a set of the early 15x5 1/2 truck wheels that use the early 9 3/4 hub caps. these wheels hit the front calipers, but a 5/16" spacer lets them clear. are the aluminum die cast spacers safe to use?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 04:25 PM

Make sure to keep your lug nuts tight. Check regularily. These spacers have been used for years contrary to what all the naysayers say. If they were as dangerous as these naysayers say they would have been pulled off the market years ago.
Posted By: patrick

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 04:32 PM

5x5.5 will require a bolt-on adapter. I was going to use the Mr gasket cast aluminum ones on my car, until they cracked at 60 ft-lbs.

spend the $$ on billet. I got mine from http://crowautomotive.com/ for $192/set 6 years ago and have held up great.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 04:51 PM

the 15x5 1/2" wheels i'm speaking of have a 4 1/2" bolt circle. so, all i need to do is just move them out about 5/16" with a spacer.
Posted By: patrick

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 05:04 PM

sorry, I thought the 5 1/2 was BP, not width...

cast "through" spacers are OK, but you may need longer studs...
Posted By: 64Post

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 05:12 PM

Having the wheel widened is also a solution, but not a cheap one. Use a 15 X 6 wheel and move the backspace. That's what I did.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 06:45 PM

i can whip you up a set of billet aluminum spacers that you won't have to worry about them failing for a little more than the cast ones. but when safety is concerned i would err on the side of caution. also my spacers are hub centric so everything lines up like it should
Posted By: 64Post

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 07:40 PM

Quote:

i can whip you up a set of billet aluminum spacers that you won't have to worry about them failing for a little more than the cast ones. but when safety is concerned i would err on the side of caution. also my spacers are hub centric so everything lines up like it should

Hub centric really should be the only way to go ...
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: wheel spacers? - 04/15/09 08:08 PM

just dont stack washers on the studs to hold the rim out and only catch a couple threds on each stud

if you do...dont drive down town to the walk in theater and do a one wheel burn out around the corner and have a 10" wide keystone rim come off and roll into the back panel of your duster and knock a big dent into it.... in front of of the whole crowd....DAMHIK..I was 15 yrs and my first mopar jacked up with the mag wheels,4 on the floor and a peace sign

but yea you can run them if its done right and check them often,IMO

good luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums