Moparts

vin numbers

Posted By: terzmo

vin numbers - 06/12/08 07:00 PM

where else are vin numbers on a vehicle besides vin plate and rad support. I'm looking at a 67 GTX and the vin starts with RS23 but the rest of the car is suspect..the rad support number on this car is unreadable...Thanks in advance to all
Posted By: Fab64

Re: vin numbers - 06/12/08 07:59 PM

Try looking:

1. on the panel behind the rear bumper, below the trunk, toward the driver's side.

2. under the weather stripping, along the driver's side of the trunk, toward the front.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: vin numbers - 06/12/08 10:07 PM

Quote:

where else are vin numbers on a vehicle besides vin plate and rad support. I'm looking at a 67 GTX and the vin starts with RS23 but the rest of the car is suspect..the rad support number on this car is unreadable...Thanks in advance to all

The VIN will NOT appear anywhere else on that car. The stamped number on the rad support, trunk lip, AND fender tag is the Shipping Order Number. You can only match the two numbers with the Broadcast Sheet.

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 12:23 AM

Oops, sorry, Jim_Lusk is right (it's been a while since I went thru this). When I went to AAA to register my Coronet, I was lucky to have the Broadcast Sheet that showed the correlation between the VIN and the S.O. Number. Multiple VINs didn't begin until 1969.

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 01:09 AM

so...this car may be a satellite or belvedere with a gtx vin tag replacement......thanks Guys..appreciate the help

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 01:59 AM

Do you have a Broadcast Sheet? And is there a data plate (under the hood, driver's side) on the car? The S.O. Number that is stamped in multiple places on the car should also be on the data plate. Do any of the numbers match at all?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 02:57 AM

The VIN number is not on a '67 fender tag, BUT the car line is. For this car the bottom line on the left side should be stamped RS23 indicating a GTX. If it has this it can't be a Satellite (RP) or a Belvedere (RH for the II)
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 03:14 AM

I was thinking the SO number was behind the bumper on a '67 B body and not on the trunk rail. Or was that 66 only?

Attached picture 4485296-66-67rearSOlocation.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 03:51 AM

What about on a 1970? I thought I remember seeing that on my radiator support, the numbers there match the serial #'s from my VIN (also on my Fender tag and dashboard tag) ??

Or am I remembering this incorrectly?
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 04:30 AM

Quote:

What about on a 1970? I thought I remember seeing that on my radiator support, the numbers there match the serial #'s from my VIN (also on my Fender tag and dashboard tag) ??

On a 70, the VIN should be stamped on the support. Mopar started stamping the VIN on the raditor support with the '69 model year.

Re: vin numbers - 06/13/08 05:32 AM

Quote:

I was thinking the SO number was behind the bumper on a '67 B body and not on the trunk rail. Or was that 66 only?

I thought it was in both places, but I must have remembered wrong. I just went out and checked my '66 Coronet - it's on the panel behind the bumper, but I couldn't find it on the trunk rail. On my '67 Barracuda, it is on the trunk rail (I never checked behind the bumper, and I can't get to it right now).

Re: vin numbers - 06/14/08 12:43 AM

no data plate or fendertag
© 2024 Moparts Forums