Moparts

ALT pulley removal/install. HOW??????????

Posted By: codfish

ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/12/08 05:47 PM

I need to remove the pulley from my alt, in order to install a March serpentine pulley.

First, how in the heck do you get it off?? I have a two arm puller, and it would not move at all, even after heating the pulley a bit. (carefully)

Second, if I ever get it off, how do I go about putting the billet pulley on without damaging it? Put it in boiling water for a while and then gently tap it on?

Need some guidance here guys. I called a local auto electric place here, that rebuilds starters and alternators, and they don't have a puller .

codfish
Posted By: dodgeram440

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/12/08 05:58 PM

To remove the pulley, simply remove the nut and lock washer. There should be no need for a puller. If it doesn't just come off with the nut removed, you've got a problem and may need a new alternator.

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/12/08 06:03 PM

There is no nut holding the pulley on. Just an interference fit.

codfish
Posted By: dodgeram440

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/12/08 06:25 PM

My bad. I thought all alternators had bolt on pullies. I couldn't remember ever seeing one that wasn't bolted on. So I went out and checked the one on my truck and the one for my 440, and darned if you aren't right. Sorry, don't know what to tell you know.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/12/08 06:39 PM

you need a puller to get it off and i'm not sure how you get the march pulley back on , it should be a press fit and you need to take apart the alt to support the back of the shaft you are pressing the pulley onto ???
Posted By: MadMax58

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/12/08 06:40 PM

The alternator pulley on Mopars is pressed on. You would need the same type of tool that is used to remove a power steering pulley that is most of the time also pressed on. I believe that the whole alternator has to come apart to press the new pulley on to what I think is called the stator. Any shop that rebuilds alternators would be able to help you with this type of job.
Posted By: mark7171

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/12/08 07:25 PM

something i always hated about the mopaR ALTERNATOR.

i heard the toyota mini replacement is bolt on.
Posted By: therocks

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/13/08 01:30 AM

Correct you need to split the case and have the pulley pressed on.It usually dosent take a lot to get them on.Really a simple job if you take some time the first time you do it.You can rent a puller from most parts stora and get your money back when you return it.Rocky
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/13/08 02:13 AM

You can buy a pulley puller on eBay for about $15. I did last year and it has already paid for itself.

When you go to the salvage yard and need to remove a pulley (alternator, power steering pump, etc.) to fit your application, you have your own puller.
Posted By: wingman

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/13/08 02:14 AM

Yeah make sure you split the alternator before pulling. You can bend the heck out of the pulley with a regular gear puller if you're not careful. DAMHIK
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/13/08 02:28 AM

Take it to the altenator shop and hand the man $10. That's what I did it worked great.

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/13/08 03:16 AM

I would, but as in the original post, they don't have anything to do it , otherwise I definitely would have.

codfish
Posted By: stumpy

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/13/08 03:33 AM

They are BSing you. If they build alts for a living they have the puller. They may not want to pull yours off but they have the equipment.

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/14/08 04:02 AM

Quote:

They are BSing you. If they build alts for a living they have the puller. They may not want to pull yours off but they have the equipment.

I'm pretty sure your right Stumpy, but what do you do? . Can't force them to do it. And they're the only game in town.

Anyhow, I broke out the sawzall after breaking a three arm pulley I got through a "loan-a-tool" program. (good thing it had a lifetime warranty ). Cut the pulley through the center of the "V-groove", and then used a two arm puller to pull it off. I can't believe how hard this was to come off. Alt is only two years old.

Anyhow, all is good again,

thanks guys
gary
Posted By: volaredon

Re: ALT pulley removal/install. HOW?????????? - 06/15/08 04:07 AM

2 things; 1st, is this a 100 A alt we are talking about? If so the P/S pulley tool wont work. also, even the mere suggestion of a Toyota ANYTHING on any of my Mopars is a slap in the face!
© 2024 Moparts Forums