Moparts

Lower control arm bushings

Posted By: 2ton4door

Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 02:57 PM

Hello,

I am trying to replace the lower control arm bushings. The ones I have now are supposedly K791 Moog which is supposed to be the correct ones and the pivot shaft is the same size as the inner sleeve in the bushing. Do I have the wrong ones or am I supposed to drive the inner shaft out with the pivot shaft. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 03:04 PM

You have to remove the old bushing inner ring off of pivot shaft.
Press shaft onto new bushing.
Then that assembly into lower arm, using outer rim of bushing.
Do not press in using the pivot shaft
Posted By: 2ton4door

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 03:10 PM

Thanks I see that now, thank you very much
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 03:52 PM

If this is your first time changing those bushings, it would be very helpful to get some experienced help. There are a number of pitfalls that are easy to avoid with a little experience and a press. twocents
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 05:38 PM

I found an article in one of the magazines on how to do those and it was literally "a breeze" following the instructions. To remove the bushing from the LCA you weld a large thick washer to the bushing so you have something to press against. To remove the sleeve from the pin you use a cold chisel to pound a couple continuous dents down the length of the sleeve, which expands the sleeve and it easily slips off the pin.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton
I found an article in one of the magazines on how to do those and it was literally "a breeze" following the instructions. To remove the bushing from the LCA you weld a large thick washer to the bushing so you have something to press against. To remove the sleeve from the pin you use a cold chisel to pound a couple continuous dents down the length of the sleeve, which expands the sleeve and it easily slips off the pin.

Find a washer almost as large as the ID of the bushing sleeve.
Slide it in the bore. Then take a chisel and hammer the bushing sleeve in on itself capturing the washer inside the sleeve.
Then press the bushing sleeve out using the washer which is captured inside the sleeve. No welding necessary.

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 07:51 PM

iagree No need to weld anything.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 08:54 PM

The welding is a 20 second deal. No marks on the arm from hammer and chisel. Plus the heat shrinks the sleeve making it come out easy.
I've done them both ways. I'd weld it if you have the equipment.
Doug
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/22/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
The welding is a 20 second deal. No marks on the arm from hammer and chisel. Plus the heat shrinks the sleeve making it come out easy.
I've done them both ways. I'd weld it if you have the equipment.
Doug

By the time you get your welding equipment out i’d have the bushings out.

But I do need to wear my reading glasses to make sure I hit the bushing and not the pivot or my fingers.

up
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/23/22 03:05 AM

These are my videos showing how to remove and install the bushings.

https://youtu.be/xYkQSI-2NRw

https://youtu.be/f2Op00pO6Kw
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/23/22 02:38 PM

Ive always welded a washer inside the sleeve and press it out from the back side

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/23/22 10:24 PM

Certainly nothing wrong with that method...................for those with a welder handy.
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/23/22 11:16 PM

I've used a large pipe tap. Then use a press to push against tap to remove bushing.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/24/22 07:01 AM

There's a tool that wedges and grips the I.D. of the bushing so it can be pulled out, no welding needed. It used to be American Muscle, apparently now Mopar Performance. But that particular tool might be AWOL from the MP kit (?).

Attached picture 02 Front Suspension.L lower control arm17.bushing shell removal..jpg
Attached picture 02 Front Suspension.L lower control arm18.bushing shell removal..jpg
Attached picture 02 Front Suspension.L lower control arm14.bushing shell removal..JPG
Attached picture 02 Front Suspension.L lower control arm15.bushing shell removal..JPG
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: Lower control arm bushings - 05/24/22 11:23 AM

I've got one of the removal tools. It can be tricking getting it in the bushing shell correctly, but once you get it in there it works great.
© 2024 Moparts Forums