Moparts

gas tank straps

Posted By: 70duster340

gas tank straps - 06/12/08 04:40 AM

Just wondering if there is anything needed to go between the straps and the tank on a 1970 Duster. I have removed and painted the tank, and removed, sandblasted, and painted the straps. The straps had undercoating on both sides when I removed them. Should I put anything on the straps to insulate them from the tank? If so, what would you all recommend?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: gas tank straps - 06/12/08 05:47 AM

My tank and straps are metal to metal. Mike
Posted By: A_Roldan

Re: gas tank straps - 06/12/08 10:46 AM

I have seen (just recently) where there were strips of rubber trimmed and placed between the straps and the tanks. I would assume to cure or curb any noise from metal to metal contact. I saw it on the TV!

That's how I plan to do mine.

~Angel
Posted By: moepwr

Re: gas tank straps - 06/12/08 04:58 PM

My straps came with a fabric that goes in between the straps and the tank. I think it is a good idea. less vibration of metal on metal even though tight. My originals didnt have it. 69 RR
Posted By: mark7171

Re: gas tank straps - 06/12/08 07:51 PM

straps to tank are e,metal to metal. the big foam adhesive pad goes above the tank.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: gas tank straps - 06/12/08 08:08 PM

Quote:

straps to tank are metal to metal. the big foam adhesive pad goes above the tank.

Correct.

Re: gas tank straps - 06/13/08 12:00 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks. I know that it was, back in the day, metal on metal. However, since both the tank and the straps were painted, I thought it would be a good idea to possibly insulate the tank from the straps to do away with any scuffing of either the straps or the tank. I also think that metal against metal will eventually begin to squeak and/or grind. Maybe the idea of the door insulation was not so good, though. How would one attach rubber strips to the straps? I can get my hands on some rubber type sheets, just was hoping I could get some ideas from you all on how to glue or otherwise attach the rubber to the straps. I want the rubber to be basically hidden between the straps and the tank, if at all possible.
Posted By: 1BaadBee

Re: gas tank straps - 06/13/08 12:41 AM

I use black felt paper - yes, that's the stuff you put on your roof before the shingles. I had it laying around and it seems to work well. Glue it on with 3M spray adhesive. Just my 2 cents worth.
Posted By: 69 Dart

Re: gas tank straps - 06/13/08 06:39 AM

On mine, I just laid down a couple strips of black electrical tape on the back of the straps. That way no metal to metal and you can't see it once the straps are tightened up. Best of all it doesn't scratch my nicely painted gas tank . . .
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: gas tank straps - 06/16/08 02:31 PM

What are you guys using to paint your tanks? I tried the eastwood tank tone and it scratches to easy. Mike

Re: gas tank straps - 06/16/08 04:32 PM

I used a flat black paint by Shermam Williams that is formulated for weather resistance. It's for boats, etc. I don't know if it scratches easy, as I haven't reinstalled the tank yet. I would also recommend Rustoleum. When it dries it's very hard and durable.
Posted By: Steve340

Re: gas tank straps - 06/17/08 05:43 AM

I use Eastwood Satin clearcoat. I like the natural look of the metal tank. The "Tank Tone" paint from Eastwood is a flat silver color that I have never seen on a Mopar tank before.

Attached picture 4494144-TankBottom.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: gas tank straps - 06/17/08 07:16 AM

I used black roofing tar paper on top & some thick rubber padding between the straps & the tank. Not original but it's functional so I'm happy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums