Moparts

1973 Challenger Front Sway Bar Question

Posted By: jim6346

1973 Challenger Front Sway Bar Question - 03/15/22 02:08 PM

Good Morning Everyone,

I am rebuilding the front suspension in a 1973 Challenger. I went to put the front sway bar in and
noticed that there are no lower control arm brackets to connect the sway bar links to. Is this normal
in a 73?

I am a little worried as I put a 440 in the car, will this be a problem if I don't install one?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: 1973 Challenger Front Sway Bar Question - 03/15/22 02:50 PM

I would want one. Having a car without a sway bar is like steering a boat

Back in those days sway bars were an option. Usually included in performance or tow packages but many cars just didn't get them.

It is pretty easy to get a new pair of Lower Control Arms (LCA) for the E-bodies. 66 (Maybe older) to 72 B Body or any 70-74 E body will swap LCA's.

I can't find the drawing now but a while back I posted a drawing of the brackets. They an be fabbed pretty easy and welded to the LCA's. Another option is aftermarket sway bar companies make bars that clamp to the strut rod or have a bracket that bolts to the shock mount bolt.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 1973 Challenger Front Sway Bar Question - 03/15/22 04:37 PM

I think places like Firm Feel sell replacement brackets that you can weld to your control arms.
Posted By: Neil

Re: 1973 Challenger Front Sway Bar Question - 03/15/22 04:44 PM

Firm Feel has them, but they don't look like oem. They bolt or weld on either way I think.

Also here for weld-on type. https://www.hotchkis.net/hotchkis-built-better-bracket-new-control-arm-sway-bar-mount-body/
Posted By: jim6346

Re: 1973 Challenger Front Sway Bar Question - 03/17/22 01:32 PM

I have decided to add the sway bar and have ordered the brackets from Hotchkiss.

Thanks everyone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums