Moparts

Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement

Posted By: dixie2bird

Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 01:09 PM

I just finished replacing my restored dash in my 72 Cuda and want to install my Tachometer but don't want to put any holes in the dash. It's the larger Autometer tach which I haven't found many mounting bracket ideas. I thought about replacing it with a smaller one, but I've had it for ever and I really like the larger size. Anyone got any pics they can share? Thanks!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 04:03 PM

Can you mount it on the A pillar using an existing screw hole? I used that spot a number of times on my A bodies.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 04:14 PM

Twice I’ve mounted them on 70 Cuda’s by hanging them from the dash light bracket in the underside of the dash pad, right in front of the stock tach in rallye dash cars, that way I avoid the horrible band clamp on the steering column. But if you’re dealing with a standard dash that’s not an option.
Posted By: topside

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 04:19 PM

Mostly street car? Race car?
For something that hits the track, somewhere in your line of sight.
If you only need to glance at it occasionally, off the side of the column or at the bottom of the dash should be fine.
Isn't the 2300 the 3 3/4" tach?
For a column mount, the bracket can be clamped to the column; you can use a large worm-drive HVAC hose clamp, trim the tail, and put heat-shrink tubing over it.
Should be some existing holes @ underside of dash if you want it there.

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Mostly street car? Race car?
For something that hits the track, somewhere in your line of sight.
If you only need to glance at it occasionally, off the side of the column or at the bottom of the dash should be fine.
Isn't the 2300 the 3 3/4" tach?
For a column mount, the bracket can be clamped to the column; you can use a large worm-drive HVAC hose clamp, trim the tail, and put heat-shrink tubing over it.
Should be some existing holes @ underside of dash if you want it there.

I did have it hanging under my dash lights originally, but for racing, yes, it's hard to see so I then moved it to on top of the dash and ran it through the crack in the top speaker and used velcro to secure it to the dash. But now, that's all been fixed up. I am looking at my A pillar which has one screw in it. I think it would look good there and would be in pretty good sight. I'll just have to make sure I line up on the left side of the tree. I'd be curious to see any pictures of it attached this way. I took the base off and I guess I'll have to get creative on how to attach it. And yes, it's the 3 3/4" tach. Thanks!
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Twice I’ve mounted them on 70 Cuda’s by hanging them from the dash light bracket in the underside of the dash pad, right in front of the stock tach in rallye dash cars, that way I avoid the horrible band clamp on the steering column. But if you’re dealing with a standard dash that’s not an option.

Mine has been that way forever.
Posted By: topside

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 06:04 PM

I've done the A-pillar location, too, but that was easy with a downbar there.
You could get a 2nd molding and drill it, saving the original one.
Bottom line though, mount it low enough, and it won't interfere with seeing the tree.
It's easy enough to know your staging RPM by ear that I'd only check/verify on occasion.

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by topside
It's easy enough to know your staging RPM by ear that I'd only check/verify on occasion.

Depends on who's staged next to you if I can hear it or not laugh2

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/14/22 11:53 PM

Here's one mounted on The A pillar. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...er&tsc=ImageHoverTitle&FORM=IGRE
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/16/22 09:48 PM

In my 71 Challenger convertible, I mounted an Autometer tach in the hole where the factory tach used to live. My car didn't come with a Rallye dash, but I put it in when I redid the car in the early 90's. Been a few minutes, and I don't remember a lot of details, but I took the factory tach out of the gauge cluster, scribed the plastic Lense, and then used a soldering iron to melt the hole out for the new Autometer tach to go through. The new tach fit perfect thru the hole in the woodgrain bezel and the ring on the front of the tach stopped it against the bezel. I put a piece of foam around the tach on the inside of the bezel and used a big hose clamp over the foam and right against the back of the bezel to hold it in place. I ran the wires out of the back of the cluster to hook them up to where each one went.
The tach I used was probably a 3 3/8 round one and may not be as big as what you'd like, but it always worked great for me. I ran the snot out of the convertible at the strip for years, so it wasn't just for looks. It's sitting out in the garage covered up for the winter, but I could get you a pic of what it looks like if you want. It only looks cobbled up to total purists, but a lot of E body guys have asked about it over the years.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/17/22 10:52 AM

I've abandoned the use of a traditional tach and will be using a shift light with digital readout. The only reason I'll care to know RPM is on the starting line and will use the shift light accordingly. No worrying about mounting some monster tach anywhere in a cramped e body dash, still functions just the same, doesn't look gawdy.

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/28/22 12:35 PM

So here's what I've come up. It seems pretty stable. I like the placement. Very visible!!

Attached picture 20220328_081809.jpg

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 03/28/22 04:13 PM

up
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 04/03/22 12:32 AM

You can also use a tach that goes into the standard dash where the clock is (or if you just have a space filler). Here is the tach... https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1971/plymouth/barracuda/parts/me1316.html

Kind of pricey though....
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 04/03/22 09:53 AM

Why not get a rally dash with a tach?

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 04/03/22 04:30 PM

Putting the tach on the A pillar makes it easier to see while racing. It is in eyesight without having to take your eyes off of straight ahead on the track. No having to look down to see it.

Re: Autometer 2300 Tach ebody placement - 04/03/22 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Putting the tach on the A pillar makes it easier to see while racing. It is in eyesight without having to take your eyes off of straight ahead on the track. No having to look down to see it.

iagree

But wait there's more ... made it glow green punkrocka. Now it matches the rest of the cluster!

Attached picture 20220403_131444.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums