Moparts

440 dist. drive gear

Posted By: Ken25

440 dist. drive gear - 04/10/09 02:45 AM

i was wondering how much play in the dist. shaft. how is the gear removed and where would you get a new one? thanks
Posted By: mark7171

Re: 440 dist. drive gear - 04/10/09 02:58 AM

Usaually just bend a coat hanger wire into 3-4 prongs / hooks, and lift straight up. The shaft is long enough so with a handle on the situation it won't fall in. A extendable magnet may help as a safety.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: 440 dist. drive gear - 04/10/09 03:22 AM

Just put a big screwdriver into the slot and twist, it will come right up. Then hook it and pull up, magnet, etc. - pretty easy and obvious.

If you're a newbie, you might want to note the orientation before removing (and don't crank the engine while removed.)

The Mopar Performance one is the way to go, it is tapered and pinned. A real engine saver!

If the oil pump is installed, there should be no perceptible slop in the bushing. if you change the bushing (in the block) it must be burnished to size with the factory tool.

Rick

Re: 440 dist. drive gear - 04/10/09 03:29 AM

the slop i have is rotating the dist. shaft. turning back and forth it acts like a worn gear.i could tell its not play in the advance.the rotor tip moves almost 3/16 from one side to the other.
Posted By: mark7171

Re: 440 dist. drive gear - 04/10/09 03:42 AM

That sounds more like the distributor bushing. yeah if it's not freed up twist a screwdriver to pop it, or ride the bumps to the correct timming gear placement.

Do the gear teeth look marred ?

Re: 440 dist. drive gear - 04/10/09 04:09 AM

i can't realy tell how the teeth look till i get the gear out.the bushing in the dist. is pretty good.it acts like the teeth are worn. i'll pull the gear out and see.thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 dist. drive gear - 04/10/09 01:42 PM

Quote:

the slop i have is rotating the dist. shaft.

that's the tang on the end of the dist being smaller than the slot on the top of the intermediate shaft/gear. I'd put a 1/2" collar on the shaft. when I did my timing marks stayed rock steady whereas before they were al over the place. PS what did the ign problem end up being the other day?
© 2024 Moparts Forums