Moparts

Hog rings

Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Hog rings - 09/23/21 07:43 PM

I need a bunch of hog rings and found that they come in different sizes. What size is recommended for upholstery install? Working on my son's Dart right now and will have the Barracuda and GTS to do after the covers arrive.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Hog rings - 09/23/21 08:53 PM

Someone on here mentioned before you can get loads of them for pretty much pennies at tractor supply

Btw-Harbor freight sells the pliers for around $3
Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: Hog rings - 09/23/21 10:17 PM

I've been using small wire ties in place of hog rings for years. You can get them all started and then tighten them up to get everything straight...
Posted By: EWJ

Re: Hog rings - 09/23/21 10:21 PM

I have used both 1/2 and 3/4 when installing covers. The 3/4 seem a little easier to get started as the offer a little more "reach" when trying to get something attached.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Hog rings - 09/23/21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
I've been using small wire ties in place of hog rings for years. You can get them all started and then tighten them up to get everything straight...

Interesting, why not just use zip ties, no special tools needed?
Posted By: TJP

Re: Hog rings - 09/24/21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar

Interesting, why not just use zip ties, no special tools needed?

Plastic can and usually will grow / stretch over time. There is also the breakage possibility. Great idea, but better use some high quality beefy ones. twocents beer
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Hog rings - 09/24/21 01:07 AM

Interesting, why not just use zip ties, no special tools needed? [/quote]

I'm guessing there's a reason God created hog rings, and hog ring pliers. Upholstery guys ALL use them.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Hog rings - 09/24/21 02:40 PM

O.P.- just buy a few sets of a couple different sizes and the pliers if you have not already. Ive used regular pliers, but the hog ring specific work the best. Farm supply store. Have fun and post pics
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Hog rings - 09/25/21 02:33 AM

Tractor supply only had small ones for the DeWalt tool. My son had bought a kit from one of the Mustang resto suppliers so I already have the tool. Scott Drake seemed to have the best supply of known correct size at a good price so I ordered them. Left Las Vegas this morning. We'll see h ow long OnTrac takes and where they take them to...
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: Hog rings - 09/25/21 02:39 AM

For interiors, I use 1/2” rings. They fit the pliers good. The tractor supply stores near me only sell large ones that I can’t use. I went to a local interior shop and a guy sold me a huge pile cheap. And I’ve bought them online as well.
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Hog rings - 09/25/21 04:57 PM

Jim,
I used the 3/4 inch hog rings to install all my seats.
Ron

Attached picture D419C641-4345-48CD-8B51-F070BB627F56.jpeg
Posted By: RealWing

Re: Hog rings - 09/26/21 05:41 PM

Currently installing new Legendary seat covers. One of Their installation kits comes with 3/4" hog rings and pliers. You need hog rings as opposed to zip ties etc, because it can be VERY hard to get that new vinyl stretched over new foam. You need 1 hand to pull/stretch and the other with the pliers. These are what came in the kit. Turns out they are made near where I live in Ontario, Canada!! I needed some more, and ordered them.
Jim

Attached picture Hog rings.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8392_1024x768.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8422_576x768.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums