Moparts

440 tear down?

Posted By: 37dodge

440 tear down? - 09/13/21 09:09 PM

I'm taking apart a 1978 440 from a M/H I though it was standard bore. After taking the heads off looks like it was rebuild, .030 over, super nice cyl. walls, I don't think it has more 10,000 mi. on it. I found a windage tray, Dbl. roller timing chain and these connecting rods. Whats the scoop on the connecting rods (coating)??? I don't think it's rust thanks

Attached picture P9130892.JPG
Attached picture P9130893.JPG
Attached picture P9130896.JPG
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/13/21 09:16 PM

I used to see the inside of engines that used Penzoil that color but it was the whole engine not just the rods.

I'm curious too.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/13/21 09:27 PM

Rods are often copper plated to reduce the size of oversized bores...big end or small end or both. Oversized due to wear or faulty machining.
Posted By: 37dodge

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/13/21 09:49 PM

looks like the whole rod is that color ,I thought it mite be that paint for inside the block
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/13/21 10:36 PM

Not sure what it means, but I have taken apart some mopar big blocks with rods of that color. You should also locate date stampimgs or ink on backsides of rod and mains to give you an idea of bearing dates.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/13/21 11:13 PM

Looks like a cast crank too me,most M/H eng.s had HD SP type rods & forged cranks.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/14/21 12:16 AM

I can't help with the rod question. But I will offer this, if you're interested; You tear down an engine, not tare down an engine. And you would like to see it be standard bore, not stander bore. There are other issues in your post, too. But that is probably enough for now. This is not an attempt to be a spelling Nazi. Just offering a couple of spelling corrections should you wish to take them. And if not, well....................
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/14/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
I can't help with the rod question. But I will offer this, if you're interested; You tear down an engine, not tare down an engine. And you would like to see it be standard bore, not stander bore. There are other issues in your post, too. But that is probably enough for now. This is not an attempt to be a spelling Nazi. Just offering a couple of spelling corrections should you wish to take them. And if not, well....................

Ya, no...you don't need to be the spelling nazi. Yoo have to much to offer around here (and I sincerely appreciate that), but yore grammer corrections mite bee less then aprisheayted. Thin again, perhaps I shoodn't stir the beens.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/14/21 01:22 PM

You are right that some (maybe many) people do not take this kind of input kindly and prefer to continue typing gibberish. But once in a while, someone actually takes it to heart and comes off a little less illiterate.
Posted By: todd440

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/14/21 01:28 PM

I've seen the recon rods come in boxes with protective coatings like that. You used to be able to buy Mellings and TRW rods, in individual boxes, and they had a coating, more than likely a rust preventative for the shelf time.
Posted By: wingman

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/14/21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 37dodge
looks like the whole rod is that color ,I thought it mite be that paint for inside the block

I've seen this stuff in lifter valleys for oil control, but never on rods like that. Color looks similar, though. Sorry I'm not much help just guessing.

Attached picture 51rLJkA3XEL._AC_SY355_.jpg
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: 440 tare down? - 09/14/21 04:30 PM

Take some metal polish to them...I bet they are plated in copper. Seen it many times. I know i have some small blocks laying around.
© 2024 Moparts Forums