Moparts

360 air gap intake gasket

Posted By: iron6

360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 05:25 PM

Anyone know the secret to getting an Summit Aluminum air gap intake to seal to a 360 small block? I had this intake on and off twice and it won't seal to the front or back of the block no matter how clean the surface is or torqued. The instructions states don't use the cork seals to use RTV sealer and torque to spec. Each time there is an oil leak at the front and rear of the block. Thanks
Posted By: sharpie

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 05:51 PM

Edelbrock says use their thin gaskets. I just built up a half-inch RTV bead and then torqued the intake down. Now I'm afraid mine might leak though!
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 06:00 PM

Quote:

Edelbrock says use their thin gaskets. I just built up a half-inch RTV bead and then torqued the intake down. Now I'm afraid mine might leak though!

That should do the trick

If the original poster is talking about a 'Summit' branded intake, I think those are just cheap chinese copies of a Edelbrock...so who knows how well they will seal ?
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 06:01 PM

what i had to do recently with an edelbrock victor intake was, i laided down a good bead of rtv on the end rail and after the intake was on and bolted down...

i took out the distributor and filled the gap under the intake from the outside using my finder to push the rtv into it...

i sort of caulked the open joint with rtv...did it on the front and back...

no oil leak.

problem is unless you are the original owner of that engine...you dont know how much the heads have been milled or block has been decked...
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 06:56 PM

I have the genuine edelbrock air gap...I layed down a good solid bead of red silicone on each end and used their intake gaskets with the gasgacinch stuff they sell and so far so good. If I have any type of leak its miniscule.
Posted By: cupcake

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 06:57 PM

its to much of a gap front & rear to seal with just calk get some cork thick enough to fill the gap & use calk both sides
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 07:33 PM

Quote:

I have the genuine edelbrock air gap...I layed down a good solid bead of red silicone on each end and used their intake gaskets with the gasgacinch stuff they sell and so far so good. If I have any type of leak its miniscule.

Same for me. They specifically state to not use
the end seals. I tried it the first time with
end seals and it leaked.
Posted By: sharpie

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 09:07 PM

I actually did the outside sealing too. I had a bead between the surfaces, but it didn't look like it was sealing too good, so I put a bead outside the mating surfaces and wiped it all away with a blue shop towel. That wiping spread a bunch of it inside between the mating surfaces.

edit: but I am using the stock Magnum Fel-Pro gaskets, which might be too thick (Magnum engine/heads)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 09:08 PM

Were your heads surfaced on the deck side? and not on the intake side??..this it what it sounds like,i have the "real" Edelbrock air gap and sealing is no problem,but i have heard of port allignment,and sealing issues with the Professional products(chinese made) copy..
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 09:52 PM

Quote:

Were your heads surfaced on the deck side? and not on the intake side??..this it what it sounds like,i have the "real" Edelbrock air gap and sealing is no problem,but i have heard of port allignment,and sealing issues with the Professional products(chinese made) copy..

not really...I had to two eddy intakes that were hard to seal on brand new eddy aluminum heads...

one was an eddy air gap and the other eddy victor..and both intakes had to get the bolt holes opened up...
Posted By: edbux

Re: 360 air gap intake gasket - 04/07/09 11:50 PM

Is the locating pin out of the block? Edelbrock makes a set of intake gaskets for the Magnum, it doesn't include the plenum gasket and is a lot less expensive, Summit doesn't carry it. I got mine at Shuck's, had to order it.

I would dry fit the intake on the engine with the head/manifold gaskets on and see what type of gap you have on the ends. Off hand I don't know what that gap should be, but someone could tell you if it is excessive. The manifold bolts only take
144 inches of torque.
© 2024 Moparts Forums