Moparts

69 Charger trunk lid torsion bar adjustment

Posted By: NHCharger

69 Charger trunk lid torsion bar adjustment - 07/13/21 01:20 AM

The FSM directions seem rather vague, thinking I'm going to hurt myself. Checked you tube.
What is the process for adjusting them? Need more tension so the trunk lid stays up higher.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 69 Charger trunk lid torsion bar adjustment - 07/13/21 01:34 AM

Have someone hold the lid fully open and you can use a small bar to unload it from the adjustment hole and move it to the next hole for more tension. Takes a little understanding and you need to be creative.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: 69 Charger trunk lid torsion bar adjustment - 07/14/21 03:24 AM

This

Attached picture 23-26 deck lid. r torsion rod re-install6.jpg
Posted By: NHCharger

Re: 69 Charger trunk lid torsion bar adjustment - 07/16/21 12:22 AM

Thanks, got it. I was going about it backwards. Wife held the trunk lid wide open, I clamped my vice grips on the end that pushes against the trunk hinge and eased it out of the retaining slot that holds it against the trunk hinge, then backed off the pressure, moved the adjustment end down two notches, put the torsion bar back in place. done in two minutes. Took longer to climb in and out of the trunk.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 69 Charger trunk lid torsion bar adjustment - 07/16/21 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by NHCharger
Thanks, got it. I was going about it backwards. Wife held the trunk lid wide open, I clamped my vice grips on the end that pushes against the trunk hinge and eased it out of the retaining slot that holds it against the trunk hinge, then backed off the pressure, moved the adjustment end down two notches, put the torsion bar back in place. done in two minutes. Took longer to climb in and out of the trunk.

At least you got it figured out and were able to get out of the trunk. Jimmy Hoffa never got out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums