Moparts

Multiple Gauges - Where to get power from?

Posted By: STLDuster

Multiple Gauges - Where to get power from? - 04/05/09 04:49 AM

I am working on installing a Tach, Temp and Oil Pressure gauge in my '74 Duster. I have everything squared away except where to get the power from for all 3 gauges.

I want to wire them in so they only get power when the key is in the "run" posistion. Do I splice in to a power wire 3 times?

What/Where is the best way to wire in multiple gauges?
Posted By: farmington

Re: Multiple Gauges - Where to get power from? - 04/05/09 04:52 AM

Tie all 3 wires together and tap into power at the fuse block. Just find a cavity that's only hot in the run position.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Multiple Gauges - Where to get power from? - 04/05/09 05:38 AM

In my 72 pickup I mounted my new gauges in the old dash. I found which wire was switched power coming to the cluster, and tapped off the circuit board there.

Now I can just unplug the one cable and still pull the cluster out. (I also re-used the existing fuel, oil, and water temp wires)

-Dave
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: Multiple Gauges - Where to get power from? - 04/05/09 02:25 PM

Quote:

Tie all 3 wires together and tap into power at the fuse block. Just find a cavity that's only hot in the run position.

You should have an open 1/4" spade terminal on the
top of your fuse block open to tap into. If you
have a wiring diagram for your car it will show it
and also the always live terminals and keyed ones.

Attached picture 5143611-SANY0113(2).JPG
Posted By: STLDuster

Re: Multiple Gauges - Where to get power from? - 04/06/09 03:32 AM

Found it!

Thanks for all the help!

This picture is from the other day, still have a ton of work to do. I can only tackle it one part at a time.

Thanks!
Posted By: Dallasdart

Re: Multiple Gauges - Where to get power from? - 04/06/09 04:50 AM

ahh yesss. Looks very familiar, using the fuse pannel is best. Someday I want to make my own dash using the redline dash.
© 2024 Moparts Forums