Moparts

Motor Mount Bolt Size

Posted By: GregY

Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/08/21 10:14 PM

Can anyone tell me what size the driver's side motor mount to frame bolt is supposed to be? Is it 7/16 by 3-3/4 or something like that? The car is a 71 Charger with a 440.

The one installed now appears to be slightly too small in diameter (like it's metric or something) and it had a nut and washer installed on the backside even though there is a welded nut there.

I would like to just use a hardware store bolt if possible, it's just a driver.

Thank you.

Greg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/08/21 10:32 PM

Are you sure the original welded nut isn't striped? That may be the reason for the undersized bolt.
Posted By: geo.

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/08/21 10:53 PM

pretty sure you're correct at 7/16" coarse thread. I'd try running a tap through it. I imagine a smaller bolt would allow a loose fit in the hole so engine could rock if bolt isn't real tight.
If engine is out weld a nut to it, or replace the mount.

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 12:22 AM

Thanks guys. The welded nut being stripped is a good thought, I will check that out. The motor is unfortunately in the car, I had to undo the mount to lift the motor to install my new steering box.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Are you sure the original welded nut isn't striped? That may be the reason for the undersized bolt.

Why would anyone put a stripe on a nut?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Frankenduster

Me thinks he means stripped, not stripe shruggy
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 02:21 AM

Its a mopar, everything gets a paint daub
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 03:42 AM

To make silly people ask questions. shruggy

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 12:40 PM

I got all excited when I saw there were 4 more responses to my question...
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by GregY

I got all excited when I saw there were 4 more responses to my question...

But, did you fix the motor mount yet? If there is enough space, you can jut add a nut on the outside of the threaded block to tighten the moror mount bolt. That won't pass a restoration test, but it will function on a driven car. Gene
Posted By: GVH

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 02:46 PM

Just measured 1 it is 7/16 " x 4 1/2" long coarse thread

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size - 05/09/21 04:18 PM

Thanks guys. I can just put it back together with the nut on it, but I was struggling with it to the point of frustration because there is not a lot of room to feed the nut up in there and get the bolt to engage with it. So I gave up and was wondering why it wasn't "right" and if there was a way I could make it so.

One way or another I will figure it out. I am excited to try my new Firm Feel Stage 2 steering box, so I am anxious to get everything back together.
© 2024 Moparts Forums