Moparts

Exhaust Sealer

Posted By: 340SIX

Exhaust Sealer - 03/28/21 10:27 PM

I watch TV Shows like we all do and at time see guys use some type of sealer on pipes before putting them together on clamped together system's.
I never really thought about it much till I was looking at the show Flipping Bangers I had DVRed.
I thought what are they using?
Followed by pricing stuff out at Jegs and Summit the next day.
As both sites wanted to know if I wanted to add in high temp can with brush of anti-sease. Seems like it would make a mess forever.
So figured I would post and ask.
1) Is that what is being used or something else?
2) Who here does it too?
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Exhaust Sealer - 03/28/21 10:32 PM

I don't know what the shows use , but I brush on a little anti-seize called Never Seize on the exhaust pipe joints before slipping them together. I just did that a few days ago on an exhaust system I replaced.
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Exhaust Sealer - 03/29/21 01:44 AM

I've heard it referred-to as 'muffler paste' on the British shows. It's supposed to make a better seal at muffler pipe joints.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Exhaust Sealer - 03/29/21 02:17 PM

If I have a sloppy fit, I use High Temp RTV. Wipe the excess off after re-assembly and you'd never know it was there.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Exhaust Sealer - 03/29/21 03:56 PM

i use either hi-temp anti-seize or RTV.
i will say,when using the RTV, sometimes [most times really] it is somewhat hard to get the pipes apart, even when used sparingly.
i like the anti-seize better, especially with band clamps.
stay away from using that black muffler paste. that stuff is like furnace cement, and sets up harder than my head.
beer
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Exhaust Sealer - 03/29/21 04:45 PM

haha that's funny . I also ONLY use Never -Seize for last 40 years , Pipes , even on clamps and hardware threads . drive You can take apart pipes + clamps 10 Years later , like they were just done last week . wrench Being in Mass + N.H . I
know about salty Rusty Pipes and clamps and hardware . The Copper Never-Seize is better than silver and will take 1750* to 2000* degrees VS 1500* . WELL worth it . I've NEVER used RTV on pipes because things Rust Weld themselves in 1 winter , so no comment on that . Ronnie
Posted By: BDW

Re: Exhaust Sealer - 03/29/21 08:46 PM

I slopped anti seize all over the joints when I put my TTI system in.
Glad I did, was easy to take apart when I changed out the transmission years later.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Exhaust Sealer - 03/30/21 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by BDW
I slopped anti seize all over the joints when I put my TTI system in.
Glad I did, was easy to take apart when I changed out the transmission years later.

Good to hear, looks like that is what most above did.
Thanks for the replies

Planed on using nickel antisieze by Prematex as may later need to swap mufflers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums