Moparts

Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body

Posted By: 68_661charger

Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/27/21 06:06 PM

I rebuilt the front end on my 68 maybe 10years ago and set the front level side to side but the drivers torsion bar bolt is turned in farther than the passenger side. Car is still level after all these years. Is this normal for the bolts to be in different lengths?
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 12:24 AM

Yes.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 12:50 AM

That's why they are called adjustment bolts. If you had a coil design you would have to live with the non adjustable differences.

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 02:51 AM

Ok thanks!
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 04:43 AM

They shouldn't be too far different. Different is OK, but if it's drastic then it's a sign of a failing torsion bar or a weak or imbalanced leaf springs.

How much difference is acceptable is anyone's guess. I would suspect no more than a few turns. The adjustments on my 69 383 RR is almost identical.

Do the tires match side to side, same inflation side to side, no damaged or worn bushings, and cross caster within .5 degree? Take a real good look at the rear leaf springs as well.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 10:16 AM

Double check to make sure you have the correct numbered bars and have them on the correct side. There is a right and left to the bars.

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 10:48 AM

He put it together 10 years ago. If there was a problem then, it would have made itself apparent by now. That's not to say that a 50 year old bar won't fail.

If ride height is still ok, I certainly wouldn't worry.

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 11:37 AM

Yes still nice and level. I'll have to look at the rear springs and a few other things it looks like. I don't believe I took the bars out completely at all but it was 10 years ago. I'd say the difference on the threads showing is 1/2 inch. Car drives great, I was more curious as I noticed it when I was under it the other day.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 12:28 PM

and same as a coil from one side could get an earlier worn process than the other side, the T bars are the same. There is not a PERFECT matching process on every piece built/casted. One T bar could get cooler faster than the other when being templated, or some contamination particle or air buble trapped into the metal... whatever thing could happen

fortunatelly T bars are adjustable to easilly get the suspension leveled

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 04:49 PM

For reference, I was under my roadrunner today getting things ready for summer. My t bar adjuers are about 3/8th inch difference. Seems like you're in the ballpark.

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 03/28/21 08:07 PM

Great! Thank you for looking...
Posted By: racerlall

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 04/12/21 12:54 AM

you can clock the adjusters differently
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 04/12/21 07:30 AM

BTW, driver side of the car is heavier than passenger side. Steering box and parts, master cylinder and brake booster. Dunno how much woild affect that on the T bars adjusting.

Althought engine is offset to the passenger side by an inch or so.
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 04/12/21 01:15 PM

Check and see if the long one is seated in the socket above. Common mistake.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 04/12/21 02:15 PM

By any chance do you have SS springs in the back?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Torsion bar bolts uneven 68 b body - 04/12/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
That's why they are called adjustment bolts. If you had a coil design you would have to live with the non adjustable differences.

grinder = adjustable..lol
© 2024 Moparts Forums